Ask Chris Avellone a question for SB interview pt 3

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
Howdy

As you may remember, I interviewed Mr. Chris Avellone (legendary designer of FO2, FNV, KOTOR 2, Prey, etc) last year in a 2 part interview that racked up 20k+ views in total and a good deal of traffic for the site. There was to be a 3rd part of the interview, but since Chris was very busy with Prey and other games, it never came to fruition (I sent him the q's tho); then the site shut down soon after. However he emailed me a month back saying he had time now and to send him more questions, but since the site was shut down I didn't bother. But since we're back, I can't pass up this opportunity. I'm going to ask him a few more questions about prey, so give me any questions you would personally like to hear answered and if they're good I will include them.

Also I will try to get Chris to create an account on site and do an AMA, as well as maybe set up a blog for him (if he has the time).

Eddie

The Writer
What are your main duties while working on System Shock reboot, since it's a reboot?

What's it like to be a writer on a rebooted game?

In your experience being a writer, when does writing and story become a factor in the Creation of a game, in the beginning, or what?

Do you have any plans to write for anything besides games, like books or movies?

Do you have any plans on making your own game development/design team after being freelance for awhile?

Do you ever plan to write a book about game design, or do you plan on every trying to pass on your knowledge in a school type setting?

Do you have any funny stories from your experience on writing for Prey?

How does it feel to be writing for a non RPG like Prey, since you've work on RPGS for most of your career?

Since being freelance, how have you gotten to write on all these games? Are you approached or do you seek it out?

What is your favorite kind of game writing? Lore/history, quests, narrative/plot, character design?

What do you find most interesting about Into The Breach?

What video game do you think has the most unique writing?

Eddie

The Writer
What are your main duties while working on System Shock reboot, since it's a reboot?

What's it like to be a writer on a rebooted game?

In your experience being a writer, when does writing and story become a factor in the Creation of a game, in the beginning, or what?

Do you have any plans to write for anything besides games, like books or movies?

Do you have any plans on making your own game development/design team after being freelance for awhile?

Do you ever plan to write a book about game design, or do you plan on every trying to pass on your knowledge in a school type setting?

Do you have any funny stories from your experience on writing for Prey?

How does it feel to be writing for a non RPG like Prey, since you've work on RPGS for most of your career?

Since being freelance, how have you gotten to write on all these games? Are you approached or do you seek it out?

What is your favorite kind of game writing? Lore/history, quests, narrative/plot, character design?

What do you find most interesting about Into The Breach?

What video game do you think has the most unique writing?
@Monte I know these are worded weirdly, so if you want to use these I don't care if you change the wording.

"KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are often revered as one of the best star wars games that have ever been made. Is there any possibility of you working on a new Star Wars RPG anytime soon?"

"What inspires you to write?"

"If you could go back and rewrite the story of any game, what would those game(s) be?"

"In your honest opinion, what's your take on Fallout 4's story? What would've you done differently?"

"What advice would you give to aspiring writers, or to just writers in general in regards to writing for a game?"

"Have you ever wished to work the Mass Effect series?"

"Do you write on your free time just to write?"

"What is the most important step or thing when writing a story for a video game? Or really, just in general?"

Okay, that's all I have for the moment.

Eddie

The Writer
Have you read Star Wars: The Old Republic Revan, and if you have what do you think about the direction of the story you wrote for?

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
(Not sure if these have been answered before before)
Would you ever consider working on an Elder Scrolls game?

What's your favorite game or game franchise that you haven't worked on?

In general, do you prefer working on smaller indie-like games or big AAA projects

On which game do you think you've written some of your best work? On which game do you think you've done your worst work?

Which game did you have the most fun writing for?

ok so he's like my favorite person in the gaming industry

What was your favorite game you've ever worked on?

What was your least favorite game to work on?

What game do you wish you could've had more time to work on, and what game do you think was most successful (not financially)?

What is your craziest/favorite idea for a video game you wish you could help develop?

If Bethesda Game Studios was to invite you as either freelance or as a member of the studio, would you accept?

Chatroom