Computer Restarts When Trying to Play Games

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Hi,

Recently I have been having trouble with my computer restarting whenever I try to play a game. I first noticed it when I tried to play MVP Baseball 2004. The game loads and the menus seem to work fine. But when I try to play a game, my computer restarts with no warning, usually in the first inning, although I made it to the second inning once before it restarted. The day before, I had played and everything was fine. Earlier in the morning I had downloaded two updates, one an update for Windows Media Player, and the other a security update for DirectX 9. Realizing this, I uninstalled both patches and tried again, but I had the same result, the computer restarted. I thought that I might just be having some problems with that one game, but tonight I tried to play Morrowind and my computer restarted every time I tried to play it. In fact, I couldn't even make it into the actual game, it restarted in the menu or while I was loading a save game. I even tried with the side of my case off to see if it might be heat related but it still restarted.However, only when I try to play games does it restart. I had the computer on for days and no problem. I startup a game and then my computer restarts. My graphics card is a Leadtek Geforce4 4400 and I am running Windows XP. This still occurs whether I use the older drivers that I was originally using or the newest ones. Any ideas that I could use to try and solve this?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=513760
Motion Infographic Animation Company

Thanks!

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
I'm not computer expert, but maybe you have some other performance heavy non-game programs that you can test the waters with.

Also XP should be unsupported so I suggest upgrading.

Hi,

Recently I have been having trouble with my computer restarting whenever I try to play a game. I first noticed it when I tried to play MVP Baseball 2004. The game loads and the menus seem to work fine. But when I try to play a game, my computer restarts with no warning, usually in the first inning, although I made it to the second inning once before it restarted. The day before, I had played and everything was fine. Earlier in the morning I had downloaded two updates, one an update for Windows Media Player, and the other a security update for DirectX 9. Realizing this, I uninstalled both patches and tried again, but I had the same result, the computer restarted. I thought that I might just be having some problems with that one game, but tonight I tried to play Morrowind and my computer restarted every time I tried to play it. In fact, I couldn't even make it into the actual game, it restarted in the menu or while I was loading a save game. I even tried with the side of my case off to see if it might be heat related but it still restarted.However, only when I try to play games does it restart. I had the computer on for days and no problem. I startup a game and then my computer restarts. My graphics card is a Leadtek Geforce4 4400 and I am running Windows XP. This still occurs whether I use the older drivers that I was originally using or the newest ones. Any ideas that I could use to try and solve this?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=513760
Motion Infographic Animation Company

Thanks!
I have the same issue, after months of trying to self diagnose i realozed it was a faulty hard drive.

Idk about you, but my hard drive overheats whenever engaged in a game too long, thus i need another one.

Very old PC, so it could be a number of issues.

My first thought is the power supply. It's very likely very old, and over time power supplies degrade and can't output their rated wattage. Other specifications such as ripple, voltage regulation, hold up times, degrade as well. If they're thrown far out of spec (for that day and age) it's possible that it could make the PC restart itself.

It also may be the OS itself causing issues. Windows Xp is very old and no longer supported. I would suggest upgrading to window 10 or wipe the drive with a clean slate. If it still does it, then it wasn't a program you have that's tampering with it.

Another thing to do is run a simple virus and malware scan, see if anything pops up. AVG and Malwarebytes are great programs.

It might also be your graphics card. It could be failing or forcing the PC to restart when put under a load.

Your honest best bet in this scenario is to build a new PC. You'd be surprised what you can do with a few hundred dollars.

For a little over 300$, you can get a decently capable system that would be vastly more powerful than what you have. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fd8XV6

For 200$, you have something much less powerful than the list above, but it's still a functional PC that is still better than what you have now. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WmfkHh

If you're not able to afford it, that's understandable. But I should bring it to your attention either way.

Chatroom