• Welcome, Guest. SugarBombed.com is shutting down indefinitely no earlier than 02/02/2019 at 10PM Eastern. No backups will be made and any data pertaining to your account will be lost for good. Contact Potato on Twitter (@sb_potato) or on Discord to ask for a time extension if necessary to complete any backups. Please notify anyone who may want to backup data prior to the website deletion.

Deep Silver pulling Metro Exodus from Steam in favor of the Epic Store

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Wolfensanity

Staff member
Set to return to Steam February 14th, 2020.

This is a pretty disgusting, anti-consumer move but I guess that's business sometimes. Selling the game on Steam as well as Epic would've been a much smarter move. If Deep Silver's hoping to make more money through the Epic store, I think they might be in for a rude awakening. Epic's 88/12 cut won't do them much good if Exodus sells half the number of copies they would've sold on Steam. Luckily, if you've already preordered on Steam, you'll still be able to play the game and buy future DLC, but the option to purchase the game through Steam is being removed today. If there's any benefit to the game being sold on the Epic store, it's that the game costs $49.99 instead of $59.99.

What do you guys think?

Source:
https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodu...c-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

Radvantage

Administrator
Staff member
Not too happy about it. I don't mind competition, but a pivot to exclusivity on a platform with less features and support is pretty ridiculous. I primarily use Steam because all of my friends, items, mods, and games are all in one place. Epic is currently not offering a robust service even near the quality of Steam, and in my view, the only thing it has done is block off games with pathetic exclusivity deals. It's also not like GOG, where it offers a unique service in maintaining classic games, manuals, and keeping it all DRM-free. You would think that the cut that Steam takes would be worth it, assuming that a vast majority of their PC audience uses Steam to some extent already as well as the potential for new customers since the store is built around exposing people to new titles, sharing reviews, and curation. I highly doubt that the Fortnite gamers, customers biting the bullet, and the tiny amount of Epic converts are going to be able to prop up sales on PC, even if it is one of the best games of the year.

Wolfensanity

Staff member
Not too happy about it. I don't mind competition, but a pivot to exclusivity on a platform with less features and support is pretty ridiculous. I primarily use Steam because all of my friends, items, mods, and games are all in one place. Epic is currently not offering a robust service even near the quality of Steam, and in my view, the only thing it has done is block off games with pathetic exclusivity deals. It's also not like GOG, where it offers a unique service in maintaining classic games, manuals, and keeping it all DRM-free. You would think that the cut that Steam takes would be worth it, assuming that a vast majority of their PC audience uses Steam to some extent already as well as the potential for new customers since the store is built around exposing people to new titles, sharing reviews, and curation. I highly doubt that the Fortnite gamers, customers biting the bullet, and the tiny amount of Epic converts are going to be able to prop up sales on PC, even if it is one of the best games of the year.
This, 100% agree

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
I think you guys are missing that 4A and/or Deep Silver were probably offered a platter of money up front, so I don't think they're necessarily betting on the more favorable revenue share making up for lost sales.

I'm personally not too upset over this. I mean, sure, it's annoying to have to make a new account, put in your credit card information, and sync your friend's list. However, I'm willing to put up with that if it increases competition in the long run. It's just a launcher. I find console exclusives much more anti-consumer, and I don't usually get upset about them much, so it'd be kinda dumb to work myself up over this. My main concern with launchers is that every publisher will keep their games on their own proprietary launchers. For instance, I don't want to have to buy Rage 2 on Beth.net, Overwatch on Battle.net, Civilization VI on the 2K store, etc, etc. A few versions of steam are fine with me though.

It's interesting to note, though, that Deep Silver, the publisher of Metro Exodus, was acquired by THQ Nordic relatively recently, and they've implemented a policy of having Denuvo DRM on all of their games. These Anti-consumer shenanigans don't bode well for THQ's future.

Personally I probably wouldn't get it now.

Pulling it from a major (Maybe THE) major platform is crazy. Plenty of large developers have their own platform (Like EA with FIFA) that you have to use, these are multiplayer games usually, but they can support that because they release multiple AAA titles a year (Battlefield, FIFA, Madden, etc.) whereas Deep Silver might release this and then wait a few years before releasing another title.

The fact is, I have as few clients as I can live with and I'm still stuck using Steam, EA Origin, Ubisofts one and Blizzards launcher. I don't want to add more to this, it's clutter.

So I think, this is a bad move, what's their tactic here?

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
Funny how steam used to be the only launcher and that was fine, but then some suit and tie guys at these scummy companies realized they could cut out the middleman and make an extra profit. Now every fucking publisher and their mother is making their own. Sick

Chatroom