Fallout 3 vs. Fallout: New Vegas

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
Yeah, world and choices was better in 3, but the few gameplay improvements NV got on 3 make a big difference tbh

CJTreader2001

Known Poster
Premium Member
I haven't played Fallout 3 yet myself, so I can't really comment on the quality of the story itself. However, I've watched enough let's plays and read enough about the story that I know it didn't have nearly as many or as high quality choices as New Vegas. FNV really excells in that department to an extent I wouldn't dream of expecting from a Bethesda game.

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
I haven't played Fallout 3 yet myself, so I can't really comment on the quality of the story itself. However, I've watched enough let's plays and read enough about the story that I know it didn't have nearly as many or as high quality choices as New Vegas. FNV really excells in that department to an extent I wouldn't dream of expecting from a Bethesda game.
"high quality choices" aka skill checks which have no actual meaning

CJTreader2001

Known Poster
Premium Member
"high quality choices" aka skill checks which have no actual meaning
They do have meaning, but that's not really what I mean. Those are fine, but I'm more referring to the branching paths involved with quests and whatnot. For instance, I come across vault 19. Do I want to help Lem, help Cooke, or just kill all the Powder Gangers? After I've decided to help Lem, do I want to tell him to turn themselves in to the NCR, point him to the Great Khans to join, or convince him to keep on keeping on in the vault? I chose to tell him ton turn themselves in as planned and they end up serving harsh sentences.

How about another example? I've been tasked with wiping out the Great Khans by the NCR. Do I want to wipe them out or find a more peaceful solution. If I decide to find a more peaceful solution and talk with Regus, I can convince Papa Khan's advisors to push him to break his alliance with the Legion, show Papa Khan that the Legion will turn on him, or talk to Colonel Moore and assassinate Papa Khan. If I decide to show him that the Legion will turn on him, will I steal Karl's journal to show him, pass some speech checks for Karl to reveal his thoughts himself, or bring him the Legion slave ledger as evidence. If I use the Legion slave ledger as evidence, he'll dismiss it, but I passed the speech checks on Karl, so they kill him immediately. Now, will I convince him to help the NCR in a suicide mission or convince him to flee the Mojave with the Khans? Oh, no. I can't pass the speech check, but I can go to Julie Farkas who'll direct me to a follower who will give me a book about the Mongol Empire which can help convince the Khans.

They do have meaning, but that's not really what I mean. Those are fine, but I'm more referring to the branching paths involved with quests and whatnot. For instance, I come across vault 19. Do I want to help Lem, help Cooke, or just kill all the Powder Gangers? After I've decided to help Lem, do I want to tell him to turn themselves in to the NCR, point him to the Great Khans to join, or convince him to keep on keeping on in the vault? I chose to tell him ton turn themselves in as planned and they end up serving harsh sentences.

How about another example? I've been tasked with wiping out the Great Khans by the NCR. Do I want to wipe them out or find a more peaceful solution. If I decide to find a more peaceful solution and talk with Regus, I can convince Papa Khan's advisors to push him to break his alliance with the Legion, show Papa Khan that the Legion will turn on him, or talk to Colonel Moore and assassinate Papa Khan. If I decide to show him that the Legion will turn on him, will I steal Karl's journal to show him, pass some speech checks for Karl to reveal his thoughts himself, or bring him the Legion slave ledger as evidence. If I use the Legion slave ledger as evidence, he'll dismiss it, but I passed the speech checks on Karl, so they kill him immediately. Now, will I convince him to help the NCR in a suicide mission or convince him to flee the Mojave with the Khans? Oh, no. I can't pass the speech check, but I can go to Julie Farkas who'll direct me to a follower who will give me a book about the Mongol Empire which can help convince the Khans.
True but personally you definitely NEED to try Fallout 3. There's a ton of cool stuff to explore if anything

NV as it was my first fallout plus its more faithful to the first fallouts but its hard for me cause i love all fallouts equally except bos tactics and shelter

Obama

Known Poster

This is more quest choice than story choice isn't it?

CJTreader2001

Known Poster
Premium Member
This is more quest choice than story choice isn't it?
Kinda, but the Great Khan thing is basically a part of the main story. If you specifically want to talk about the main story, you can side Mr House, NCR, Yesman, or the Legion. Fallout New Vegas already beats 3 with just that.

Chatroom