Fallout 76 Discussion Thread (11/14/18)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
Yeah, it's particularly concerning that Bethesda seems so unsure about basic features like player count this late in development. I fear this'll basically be early access, but idk.
Might seem like a basic feature to you, but player count is something that can be figured out by playtesting quite quickly and can be tweaked quite easily.

CJTreader2001

Known Poster
Premium Member
Might seem like a basic feature to you, but player count is something that can be figured out by playtesting quite quickly and can be tweaked quite easily.
Yeah, but player count affects so much of the game. Everything from spawn rates to equipment drops would probably need to be tweaked with a change to player count. Even textures and performance could be affected. That's just one example. It feels like they shrug at half the questions. I hope I'm wrong, but I think some skepticism is in order.

Last edited:

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
Yeah, but player count effects so much of the game. Everything from spawn rates to equipment drops would probably need to be tweaked with a change to player count. Even textures and performance could be affected. That's just one example. It feels like they shrug at half the questions. I hope I'm wrong, but I think some skepticism is in order.
It affects the game for sure, but they have much more important things to pay attention to early in development. In a team-based shooter player count would be important early game, but here, where you forge your own teams, it doesn't really matter, the biggest team is going to win either way.

Yeah, but player count effects so much of the game. Everything from spawn rates to equipment drops would probably need to be tweaked with a change to player count. Even textures and performance could be affected. That's just one example. It feels like they shrug at half the questions. I hope I'm wrong, but I think some skepticism is in order.
It's a valid concern, but I also think it's important to consider that their engine supports a lot of scaling based on a variety of variables. So if they adjust the amount of players in a server/in a party, quests and regions could be designed to automatically update based on player level and player density. Since it's online, I'd assume that there's no difficulty options so (hopefully) a lot of focus went on early in development that the basic aspects of the game could be adjusted depending on a few key aspects, especially in terms of the quantity of players.

Chatroom