Fallout 76 Discussion Thread (11/14/18)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
I think even Fallout 3 was done wrong. In many ways, it was worse than 4.
For what the had to work with 10 years ago, FO3 was a masterpiece. They definitely regressed in 4. No skills, no repair element. Just a couple of simple things that made a whole lot more sense than a lot of FO4. Was disappointed that they removed a lot of what made FO3 special.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
For what the had to work with 10 years ago, FO3 was a masterpiece. They definitely regressed in 4. No skills, no repair element. Just a couple of simple things that made a whole lot more sense than a lot of FO4. Was disappointed that they removed a lot of what made FO3 special.
...I can't agree. Fo3 did a lot of things better than Fo4, and I accept that I might be too hard on it. Still, it's far from a masterpiece. The story was horrifyingly bad.

Arch

Known Poster
I think masterpiece is excessive.

I mean back when i was like... 12-13 or whatever Fo3 was amazing, and in my eyes the best game ever.
then New Vegas came and I didn't like that. ((I think because Vanilla Vegas was even more of a broken mess back then...))

but as I grew older that shifted, at age of 16 I didn't like Fo3 anymore, but I heckin loved New Vegas, and still do.

And then Fallout 4 came and I hated it so much... and I prefer the mess that is 3 over the garbage pile that is 4.

4 is just... horrible.
Only good thing about 4, was power armor, and even that got fucked by you getting it too early.

Ok, I agree that masterpiece is a bit much, as I see it from a nostalgic viewpoint. However, while it hasn’t aged as well as I would have liked, I still play it to this day and enjoy it. I don’t have as much of an issue with the story in FO3 as some do. That’s their prerogative. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Still can’t forgive Bethesda for putting such an extensive weapon crafting system into FO4 and not having a repair mechanic. FO3 forced you to make choices early on that were consequential, related to this. You had to decide when and where to start dumping skill points into repair so that you could keep your weapons in good shape. For instance, you could let Mr. Burke kill Lucas Simms in Megaton and scavenge his body for his powerful Chinese assault rifle. But if you used it too much, you wear it out and it becomes useless because you aren’t going to randomly be coming across any more of them for awhile, early on. You had to pick and choose your moments. If it never degraded (like in FO4), then your only limitation was ammo, and that was much easier to find.

Simple things. FO4 needed something like that to make it feel like it was a survival game. Instead, it was just a post-apocalyptic FPS. Not to mention the fact that FO4 was WAAAAAAY too populated, but that’s a different bone to pick, altogether.

I love, love, LOVE that Bethesda is getting raked over the coals for FO76. Their arrogant asses thought this was a good idea that has CLEARLY been outed as an intentional money grab from fans. Like I’ve said, I absolutely LOVED FO3. I loved FO:NV (Zenimax, but built with what Bethesda created), I really enjoyed Skyrim, and I enthusiastically bought FO4 and was incredibly disappointed. Now that FO76 has turned out to be an unmitigated disaster and an “emperor-has-no-clothes” moment where Todd and Bethesda thought they could do no wrong, I may not ever spend money on a Bethesda title again. They did a really good job with FO3 and they have disappointed ever since.

I thought Todd Howard could do no wrong after FO3 and Skyrim. Now I just view him as a money grabbing chump who thinks he’s smarter than his customers.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
I love, love, LOVE that Bethesda is getting raked over the coals for FO76. Their arrogant asses thought this was a good idea that has CLEARLY been outed as an intentional money grab from fans. Like I’ve said, I absolutely LOVED FO3. I loved FO:NV (Zenimax, but built with what Bethesda created), I really enjoyed Skyrim, and I enthusiastically bought FO4 and was incredibly disappointed. Now that FO76 has turned out to be an unmitigated disaster and an “emperor-has-no-clothes” moment where Todd and Bethesda thought they could do no wrong, I may not ever spend money on a Bethesda title again. They did a really good job with FO3 and they have disappointed ever since.

I thought Todd Howard could do no wrong after FO3 and Skyrim. Now I just view him as a money grabbing chump who thinks he’s smarter than his customers.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's a good idea to write them off no matter what they do. This whole company loyalty cycle (company makes good product > happily consume and praise more products despite drastic drops in quality > get butt-hurt once quality declines beyond a certain point > never buy said company's products again > rinse and repeat with new company) is just really corrosive all around, but it's especially so for the market. It's really hard to tell what's the attitude of the general consumer as opposed to the attitude of a vocal minority. Bethesda has been dumbing down their games at least since Oblivion and sales kept going up. Even Fallout 4 sold more than Skyrim IIRC, so you can't really blame them for assuming that those who hated Fo4 were a vast minority. Just treat these companies like dogs: if they do good, reward them, but if they do bad, punish them. Making it more complicated by holding grudges or keeping company loyalty helps nobody.

Last edited:
I loved fo3, but Skyrim, Fo4, and Fo76 all disappoint. (Well. I had little expectation for fo76 so maybe it didnt truly dissapoint per se. At least not me)

But i admit. Despite their failures, and despite the fact CDPR is about to ass blast them off their open world rpg throne with Cyberpunk 2077, i still know when Starfield gets unveiled i will foolishly jump on the hype wagon.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's a good idea to write them off no matter what they do. This whole company loyalty cycle (company makes good product > happily consume and praise more products despite drastic drops in quality > get butt-hurt once quality declines beyond a certain point > never buy said company's products again > rinse and repeat with new company) is just really corrosive all around, but it's especially so for the market. It's really hard to tell what's the attitude of the general consumer as opposed to the attitude of a vocal minority. Bethesda has been dumbing down their games at least since Oblivion and sales kept going up. Even Fallout 4 sold more than Skyrim IIRC, so you can't really blame them for assuming that those who hated Fo4 were a vast minority. Just treat these companies like dogs: if they do good, reward them, but if they do bad, punish them. Making it more complicated by holding grudges or keeping company loyalty helps nobody.
I’m not saying I won’t give them a chance again, but they are going to have to earn it. I will hold off on any future Bethesda product until I read reviews...which is what I should have done with FO4.

Chatroom