How/when do you replay games?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Especially when it comes to people's favorite games, I notice that it's quite common to replay games over and over again and rack up several hundred hours in the process. However, I've noticed that I rarely do this. Sure, if a game is incredibly content-rich and has multiple endings, I might replay it a couple times if I don't have the money for anything new, but even then, I usually get my fill by the time I hit 200 hours. The only instance in which I've noticed comparable behavior is when I play strategy games where each playthrough is quite different such as Crusader Kings 2, Hearts of Iron 4, and Civilization 6. What are your habits when it comes to replaying games?

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
Especially when it comes to people's favorite games, I notice that it's quite common to replay games over and over again and rack up several hundred hours in the process. However, I've noticed that I rarely do this. Sure, if a game is incredibly content-rich and has multiple endings, I might replay it a couple times if I don't have the money for anything new, but even then, I usually get my fill by the time I hit 200 hours. The only instance in which I've noticed comparable behavior is when I play strategy games where each playthrough is quite different such as Crusader Kings 2, Hearts of Iron 4, and Civilization 6. What are your habits when it comes to replaying games?
I actually usually play over games with linear, but enjoyable expiriences, like Titanfall 2, Saints Row series.
In RPGs I start a lot of new games, but usually don't really get far with them.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
I actually usually play over games with linear, but enjoyable expiriences, like Titanfall 2, Saints Row series.
Interesting. When I start an RPG playthrough, I almost feel an obligation to finish it.

Obama

Known Poster
With Skyrim I probably started 50 character and beat the game about 2 times same with most open ended RPGs i play a new character for ten minutes before making another one

Obama

Known Poster
The only game I have beaten a few times is mankind divided. I recently played through it again and unlike most games is becoming more fun each run I do even though I make the same choices and the same play style all the way through. Open ended RPGs never get beat more than twice and like guul I just piss around on new characters. I think the most replayable game type is a deep but short story with lots of thought and lore in it but only takes 10-20 hours to beat.

guul66

Interesting. When I start an RPG playthrough, I almost feel an obligation to finish it.
if you play a game because an obligation you are wasting your time in every sense of the word.
i finish a lot of the rpgs i play (not all, to be honest), i was saying i make a lot of replay characters (usually after finishing) but pretty much never finish an rpg twice and almost never actually play them much farther from the start. I've finished Embershad mine a few dozen times, Bleak Falls Barrow half that and gotten to High Hroghtgar only a few times.

guul66

With Skyrim I probably started 50 character and beat the game about 2 times same with most open ended RPGs i play a new character for ten minutes before making another one
To be fair, open ended RPGs like Skyrim try to do a lot of things which end up on most of them being shitty, meaning the replayability they so claim really isn't that great.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
The only game I have beaten a few times is mankind divided. I recently played through it again and unlike most games is becoming more fun each run I do even though I make the same choices and the same play style all the way through. Open ended RPGs never get beat more than twice and like guul I just piss around on new characters. I think the most replayable game type is a deep but short story with lots of thought and lore in it but only takes 10-20 hours to beat.
Agreed. I'm always reluctant to play games like The Witcher 3 and Divinity Original Sin 2 again because they're so lengthy.

Obama

Known Poster
To be fair, open ended RPGs like Skyrim try to do a lot of things which end up on most of them being shitty, meaning the replayability they so claim really isn't that great.
I never thought about it like that but it's true I always get bored in Skyrim as all the systems feel a bit shallow as there is too many of them for multiple playthroughs

guul66

I never thought about it like that but it's true I always get bored in Skyrim as all the systems feel a bit shallow as there is too many of them for multiple playthroughs
my only finished game was a character which used practically everything in the game at once. he was incredibly weak later levels after the game was done. skyrim ain't for thousands of hours.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
If you believe this then you've never played a mediocre game.
:kanye:
Maybe we just have different definitions of mediocre.
No first playthrough is great fun you just played too much
I played it to the end once and have less than 150 hours in it including the DLCs.

When I say mediocre, I don't mean bad. I had fun with it, but its deep flaws become apparent once you scratch below the surface. Skyrim's exploration was great. However, virtually all other aspects of the game were middling to horrendous. So, yeah, as a product and definitely as a piece of art, it's pretty damn mediocre and undeserving of the pedestal its often placed on. That's my opinion at least.

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
I replay Dragon Age Origins and Fallout New Vegas at least once a year. Been doing it since both games came out. Its basically a yearly tradition at this point

Chatroom