Is Bethesda ethically/morally better than other publishers?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
A not uncommon belief in the community is that Bethesda is more ethical than other publishers. Although it can be argued this is the case because of bethesda's reluctance to implement microtransactions in paid games for instance, I would say that the negative actions of Bethesda, such as their recently overturned policy of withholding review copies until the day before release, their repeated attempts at paid mods, and their mistreatment of third-party developers, far outway the bad and make them just another shady corporation. Thoughts?

Wolfensanity

Staff member
Absolutely they are, but of course they're not without their own problems. Their singleplayer catalog is pretty incredible, especially with everything they've released recently. Bethesda could be making A LOT more money doing what the rest of the "AAA industry" is doing, but instead they're making good games and less profit. Who asked for RAGE 2? Nobody, but it looks fucking awesome. It's risky to make a sequel to a game that was rather mediocre, but Bethesda is the only company who seems willing to take that chance. They did the same thing The Evil Within 2, and that game was great.

Last edited:

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Absolutely they are, but of course they're not without their own problems. Their singleplayer catalog is pretty incredible, especially with everything they've released recently. Bethesda could be making A LOT more money doing what the rest of the "AAA industry" is doing, but instead they're making good games and less profit. Who asked for RAGE 2? Nobody, but it looks fucking awesome. It's risky to make a sequel to a game that was rather mediocre, but Bethesda is the only company who seems willing to take that chance. They did the same thing The Evil Within 2, and that game was great.
That's true. They definitely make great products, and they make their money in at least a less overtly scummy way. However, couldn't it be argued that's simply a strategy? e.g. suck up to the consumer for goodwill and loyalty while being a cutthroat in the back room.

Wolfensanity

Staff member
That's true. They definitely make great products, and they make their money in at least a less overtly scummy way. However, couldn't it be argued that's simply a strategy? e.g. suck up to the consumer for goodwill and loyalty while being a cutthroat in the back room.
You say that like they're doing some evil shit behind the scenes. They make video games my dude.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
You say that like they're doing some evil shit behind the scenes. They make video games my dude.
You act like I'm implying they're killing people. I'm just saying that they often use unethical methods to get their way. The methods they used on the developers of Prey 2 for example.

Cutthroat definition :
(of a person) using ruthless methods in a competitive situation.

"the greedy cutthroat manufacturers he worked for"

Wolfensanity

Staff member
You act like I'm implying they're killing people. I'm just saying that they often use unethical methods to get their way. The methods they used on the developers of Prey 2 for example.

Cutthroat definition :
(of a person) using ruthless methods in a competitive situation.

"the greedy cutthroat manufacturers he worked for"
I don't know what to tell ya. That's business, shit happens? Prey 2 was canned 7 years ago. Things gets cancelled for many reasons. It does sound like you're implying they're doing something other than their job.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
I don't know what to tell ya. That's business, shit happens? Prey 2 was canned 7 years ago. Things gets cancelled for many reasons. It does sound like you're implying they're doing something other than their job.
Yes, I am. Part of me is glad Prey 2 was cancelled as it paved the way for the fantastic 2017 reboot. However, the reasons for it show a side of Bethesda that is far from ethical.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
Not the worst but they certainly aren't the best. Their review copies policy really drove me away from really supporting them. It really is such a scummy business move and its completely transparent. Shocks me that either some people don't remember it happened or they just don't care? It does nothing but hurt the games that they're selling and hurts the industry as a whole.

Their whole "we love reviewers" statement was so bullshit. No, you don't have love reviewers. You love Youtubers who only talk about your games positively and don't have the critical thinking skills to realize that you sold water textures and more bugs in Skyrim Special Edition (I bring SSE up because it was around the same time this policy dropped)

tl;dr Not the worst by any stretch, but certainly a lot of room for improvement. But really, I can't think of a single publisher that's even close to being consumer friendly or even just good

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
Thing is, business is harsh. Games are already usually sold at a loss (The price to actually pay for game dev and make a profit for AAA would be around $70) and if companies want to stay competitive they have to take a few bad-sounding steps. Bethesda are good enough to not make all of these other sources of income bad for consumers (you don't need to buy a weapon skin pack from Creation Club to play Fallout 4).

Kraze

Staff member
I really couldnt care about all this "consumer friendly" stuff. At the end of the day every publisher and dev exist to make money. Yes, people who make the games probably love games and do it because they're passionate about them but that doesn't mean they still aren't focused on making a profit. People like to these idealized versions of certain publishers and devs because they think they're friends or some weird shit like that. They exist to make money, that's that. Them making you think that you're friends with them just means their PR team is doing their job.

Chatroom