Isometric vs non-isometric RPGs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Isometric RPGs are almost as old as the genre itself, but especially with the recent resurgence of Isometric RPGs, the question of whether Isometric RPGs are preferable to non-isometric RPGs is quite pertinent. What are your thoughts on Isometric games? Which do you prefer?

Arch

Known Poster
Isometric RPGs are almost as old as the genre itself, but especially with the recent resurgence of Isometric RPGs, the question of whether Isometric RPGs are preferable to non-isometric RPGs is quite pertinent. What are your thoughts on Isometric games? Which do you prefer?
Isometric RPGS are usually more **Rpg** more choices, more defining characters and PC.

But I love all good RPGs regardless of perspective.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Isometric RPGS are usually more **Rpg** more choices, more defining characters and PC.

But I love all good RPGs regardless of perspective.
That's not because of the prespective though.
Yeah, it's not necessary because of the perspective, but the relatively lower cost of Isometric games seems to allow developers to shift more resources to writing in order to make it a good RPG.

Isometric RPGs are typically better RPGs, but personally, I much prefer the gameplay of non-isometric, fully 3d games. Every time I play an Isometric game, I can't help but wish it had the gameplay of The Witcher 3 or Skyrim.

Arch

Known Poster
Yeah, it's not necessary because of the perspective, but the relatively lower cost of Isometric games seems to allow developers to shift more resources to writing in order to make it a good RPG.

Isometric RPGs are typically better RPGs, but personally, I much prefer the gameplay of non-isometric, fully 3d games. Every time I play an Isometric game, I can't help but wish it had the gameplay of The Witcher 3 or Skyrim.
Yeah I too think that's the connection, and I like both types, DoS 2 was extremely good and PoE 2 aswell.

but Witcher 3 remains my favorite.

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department

It's probably because as isometric is cheaper to make it gives developers more room to experiment with different RPG elements (while in other games it might be too expensive to try anything special.

I think both perspectives are valid, and can be equally engaging depending on how the RPG handles certain interactions as well as the presentation of the world. I love the original Fallout (even though that's technically "cavalier oblique"), most of the items and objects can be inspected and there's a tactical feel throughout. Presentation is superb, and after going back to it since Fallout 4, it felt surprisingly immersive with its grim soundscape, gritty UI, and the talking heads. I do think first-person games have the potential to be more immersive, but it's also tricky to make certain role-playing game mechanics immersive or realistic.

For example, it seems counterintuitive in a 3D FP RPG to have dice roll melee combat when you can see your weapon slice through an enemy's model. I like that FP RPGs show detail up close and also promote a more natural flow of exploration than a lot of isometric games where you jump between locations. Generally, I believe some isometric games can do better in some respects (tactical battle systems, stat-based interaction) while first-person RPGs can be successful in other ways (immersive details, deeper exploration). The best of these two types of games in the RPG genre do things so well, for me anyways, that perspective doesn't really affect my opinion unless I'm in a certain mood or bored of another game that's similar.

Chatroom