Josh Sawyer comments on the potential of a new Obsidian Fallout game

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Josh Sawyer (aka J.E. Sawyer), the director of Fallout: New Vegas, commented on the possibility of a new Obsidian-developed Fallout game. Further, he addressed fan concerns that, due to the numerous staff changes which have taken place since its release, such a game could ever approach the quality of FNV. I would very much suggest giving it a read for yourself, but I've summarized his points of contention and the evidence used to support these claims.

Sawyer made it clear that New Vegas' development was most certainly a team effort which he never could have accomplished on his own. However, according to him, it was the project that he had the most discretion and authority over throughout his entire career in game development. In other words, FNV has more of him in it than any other project. He created the outline for the map/major location, all the companions, and the major aspects of the main story. Though there would be some changes due to their improvements as developers and the lack of key figures such as John Gonzalez, the assertion that a new Fallout game from them would be fundamentally different or even downright worse just doesn't make sense. Regardless, he has no expectation that he'll ever get to work on the Fallout franchise again.

What are your thoughts?

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F178166511166

Last edited:

Wolfensanity

Staff member
Eh, we already got a good Fallout game, along with multiple great DLCs, from Obsidian. Sure I'd love to see them make another, but I wouldn't be too upset if they don't. At this point, I think people should just move on and stop nagging Obsidian about Fallout, and instead pay attention to what they've been making since. Besides, there's always games like Wasteland 2 (and hopefully soon Wasteland 3) to fill that classic-Fallout void.

Last edited:

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Eh, we already got a good Fallout game, along with multiple great DLCs, from Obsidian. Sure I'd always love to see them make another, but I wouldn't be too upset if they don't. In a perfect world, people would move on and stop nagging Obsidian about Fallout, and instead pay attention to what they've been making since. Besides, there's always games like Wasteland 2 (and hopefully soon Wasteland 3) to fill that classic-Fallout void.
I get that, but I just found it sad that, though they made a better Fallout game than Bethesda ever would and they would jump on another opportunity to work on it in a heartbeat, they'll never get another go at it. I just see the Fallout franchise only getting more and more casualized with BGS working on it.

It's nice to see that a lot of his creativity went into that game and he's still at Obsidian to stretching that muscle with their new titles. I bet that in the next ten years, if it's demanded enough, Bethesda may make a deal with Obsidian or another third-party to make some kind of Fallout content, whether it's DLC, spin-off, or co-developer role. Even if it's not managed entirely by Obsidian, it'd be nice to see them contracted to do work on some characters or faction quests in whatever BGS wants to explore next in the Fallout franchise. I love the writing and design that Sawyer's done in the past, but if they really want to keep it internal as they said, I'd be fine with Arkane working alongside BGS on a game.

Wolfensanity

Staff member
I get that, but I just found it sad that, though they made a better Fallout game than Bethesda ever would and they would jump on another opportunity to work on it in a heartbeat, they'll never get another go at it. I just see the Fallout franchise only getting more and more casualized with BGS working on it.
Sad indeed. As much as I enjoy Fallout 3 and 4 for their worlds and gameplay, I miss the heavy emphasis on roleplaying. Pre-Fallout 4, I always dreamed of a Fallout game made by both Bethesda and Obsidian, but I know it will never happen.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
It's nice to see that a lot of his creativity went into that game and he's still at Obsidian to stretching that muscle with their new titles. I bet that in the next ten years, if it's demanded enough, Bethesda may make a deal with Obsidian or another third-party to make some kind of Fallout content, whether it's DLC, spin-off, or co-developer role. Even if it's not managed entirely by Obsidian, it'd be nice to see them contracted to do work on some characters or faction quests in whatever BGS wants to explore next in the Fallout franchise. I love the writing and design that Sawyer's done in the past, but if they really want to keep it internal as they said, I'd be fine with Arkane working alongside BGS on a game.
For awhile, Arkane (specifically Arkane Austin) has been my second choice behind Obsidian for an alternate Fallout developer. Prey (2017) really gave me faith in their competency with lore and world design.

Obama

Known Poster
If obsidian want to they could make a first person RPG it doesn't have to be fallout. BGS want the fallout brand to be tied with them just like the elder scrolls brand and because of this obsidian won't get another go.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
If obsidian want to they could make a first person RPG it doesn't have to be fallout. BGS want the fallout brand to be tied with them just like the elder scrolls brand and because of this obsidian won't get another go.
That's true. I just don't really get Bethesda's reasoning as to why that's preferable. I'd think that they'd just buy Obsidian out if they simply wanted to keep more of the profits, so the only possible reasons to me seem to be either that they think it underselling is because Obsidian is a bad developer or that they're afraid of them making a superior product again. Either way, it seems nonsensical.

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
won't be made because everyone will whine on it and praise it at the same time so much that the universe achieves perfect entropy bringing the end of the world.

Chatroom