Rant Looking for an explanation (Mods)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
So I've been thinking about it and I feel confused on how mods are selected and what role they have to play. The site has a lot of mods, but only 1-2 mods that are active every day. Additionally, to me (as the common user) some mods seem to be selected at random. They weren't there for the last few months of the old site, they weren't the most active of the new site, they were as well-behaved as anyone else when they were selected, overall, they didn't and don't seem to stand out.
Overall, my point is why have circa 20 mods, if 2-5 of them actually do anything and many only 2 of them actually try to be active semi-daily? Isn't the whole point of a mod/staff member to help the community and do something good for the site?

I'm not calling for change, this site is pretty dead anyway, I'd just like an proper explanation to these things.

Someone like, had this gun, and ran into a room and let the clip out. everyone who got hit became a mod

blame the shooter
monte :p

nah for real though, some of the mods are what i consider "legacy mods" kinda like myself. honestly we dont deserve the title, maybe something else. title like "legends of the wastes" or something. but theres a good deal of mods idk, or havent ever met. but i wasnt around at the end of the first sb. i spent like 1.5 years then kinda bailed, then time passed, monte hmu in like aug to come back.
here now, get on like 3-6 times a month
id be on every day if there was more content in the forums and chat, but theres just no life here :p

love sb
will be here to go down with the ship when the time comes :b

we have only 100 something members to our previous like 13k
go join fallout radposting on facebook or something, whatever tickles your fancy :p
radposting is a little toxic but i looove it

guul66

Someone like, had this gun, and ran into a room and let the clip out. everyone who got hit became a mod

blame the shooter
monte :p

nah for real though, some of the mods are what i consider "legacy mods" kinda like myself. honestly we dont deserve the title, maybe something else. title like "legends of the wastes" or something. but theres a good deal of mods idk, or havent ever met. but i wasnt around at the end of the first sb. i spent like 1.5 years then kinda bailed, then time passed, monte hmu in like aug to come back.
here now, get on like 3-6 times a month
id be on every day if there was more content in the forums and chat, but theres just no life here :p

love sb
will be here to go down with the ship when the time comes :b
You are one of the few who tries to be active, so I'm mostly okay with you, even though you becoming mod on the new site is kinda weird.
still, you got good wibes so its hard to dislike you : ))

Wow this is an old thread but as a mod I will give my two cents.

Mods were chosen by Monte, and the people he chose we people he knew pretty well and trusted. You're right in that we aren't much different from the average user. And that is probably a good thing. Monte just knew us before the site and knew we could be trusted with the responsibility of being a mod, but there isn't much responsibility anyway.

The reason the majority of us are inactive is because the site is dead, sadly. There is only a small handful of people who visit daily, people like you guul, people we trust and know that we don't need to come watch over. It isn't our responsibility that the site is dead either, that is mostly on Monte's hands. If he wanted us actively advertising and promoting the site he would tell us, and we would do it. He has said nothing though. Not trying to put all the blame on you Monte haha.

If the site starts generating significantly more traction, I'll start getting on a lot more often and hopefully other mods will too. But I don't see any reason that would happen unless we get promoted on Matty's channel again (which Monte has not wanted) or a new Fallout game gets announced.

guul66

Mods were chosen by Monte, and the people he chose we people he knew pretty well and trusted. You're right in that we aren't much different from the average user. And that is probably a good thing. Monte just knew us before the site and knew we could be trusted with the responsibility of being a mod, but there isn't much responsibility anyway.

The reason the majority of us are inactive is because the site is dead, sadly. There is only a small handful of people who visit daily, people like you guul, people we trust and know that we don't need to come watch over. It isn't our responsibility that the site is dead either, that is mostly on Monte's hands. If he wanted us actively advertising and promoting the site he would tell us, and we would do it. He has said nothing though. Not trying to put all the blame on you Monte haha.

If the site starts generating significantly more traction, I'll start getting on a lot more often and hopefully other mods will too. But I don't see any reason that would happen unless we get promoted on Matty's channel again (which Monte has not wanted) or a new Fallout game gets announced.
this is a good explanation, thanks.

CJTreader2001

Known Poster
Premium Member

This may be the case for you and a few others, but I feel like a lot of mods jumped ship just as fast as other members. I think it was still semi-active when most of them bailed. Many of them barely posted in the first place.

Like Gally, I haven't felt any direction or movement for a good while. The site simply lost gas, no one was telling me what to do about it, and the things a couple of us were attempting to do (What ever happened to Gally's potential interview with Tim Cain that Monte took control of?) seemed to get ignored or fell to the wayside.

And mind you, I don't believe this is anybody's fault. We all have other things to do, and honestly I'm thankful for the small spark of site activity that I got to relive for those few months. For me personally, I felt that with High School buckling down on my life, I should shift my focus away from advertising and writing articles for a more or less dead website.

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
please read the thread I just posted relating to this @guul66 @Pill Party

if we're being honest I was very active and trying to do things with this site for a good month or so after it relaunched, but I could not get any consistency from most mods I hired, couldn't even get a response from most, site was growing very slowly and so I got tired of trying and doing things on my own. Also just burnt out in general with the whole forum thing after almost 3 yrs. I'm not making any promises but I will be around now so if anyone wants to help me out get in touch please

also no one really deserves to be blamed, this has always been a not for profit thing and real life shit is more important. that's life

please read the thread I just posted relating to this @guul66 @Pill Party

if we're being honest I was very active and trying to do things with this site for a good month or so after it relaunched, but I could not get any consistency from most mods I hired, couldn't even get a response from most, site was growing very slowly and so I got tired of trying and doing things on my own. Also just burnt out in general with the whole forum thing after almost 3 yrs. I'm not making any promises but I will be around now so if anyone wants to help me out get in touch please

also no one really deserves to be blamed, this has always been a not for profit thing and real life shit is more important. that's life
AhaiII I VOllUNteeerr commander,.... i sWhi Shall help you.

Chatroom