Metro Book Series

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
The Metro video game series, as you probably know, is based off of a book series by Dmitry Glukhovsky. If you're unfamiliar with the series, it's essentially about a society who living in the depths of the Moscow metro after a nuclear holocaust. Initially, I dismissed the books as mostly redundant considering I'd already played the game. However, I recently bought the first book in the series, Metro 2033, and I'm very glad I did. I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but I can already tell it manages to tell the story and lay out the world better and in a much more vivid fashion than the game ever could. That being said, I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you have any interest in post-apocalyptic fiction. Thoughts?

ODgoon

Staff member
I just finished the first book and found it very interesting, but depending on the version you get there might be some print errors though. The book definitely offers more in worldbuilding and atmosphere, but the games did a great job with that as well. It also has interesting philosophical and political takes throughout which makes it worth the read even if you have played the games. I am going to start 2034 soon

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
I just finished the first book and found it very interesting, but depending on the version you get there might be some print errors though. The book definitely offers more in worldbuilding and atmosphere, but the games did a great job with that as well. It also has interesting philosophical and political takes throughout which makes it worth the read even if you have played the games. I am going to start 2034 soon
Agreed on basically all counts. I got the audiobook, but there have been a couple instances of weird wording which I assume was some translation issue (e.g. randomly switching to the second person perspective for a sentence). There are also times when it's just hard to follow like when they use some Russian words. That stuff is vastly overshadowed by the great aspects though, so they're insignificant flaws to me.

ODgoon

Staff member
Agreed on basically all counts. I got the audiobook, but there have been a couple instances of weird wording which I assume was some translation issue (e.g. randomly switching to the second person perspective for a sentence). There are also times when it's just hard to follow like when they use some Russian words. That stuff is vastly overshadowed by the great aspects though, so they're insignificant flaws to me.
The station names are a pain to pronounce and remember XD

Wolfensanity

Staff member
Always been meaning to pickup the Metro books, but I currently have a pretty wicked backlog of books and comics to read. Game of Thrones, Witcher, The Walking Dead, Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim... it's real bad lol

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Always been meaning to pickup the Metro books, but I currently have a pretty wicked backlog of books and comics to read. Game of Thrones, Witcher, The Walking Dead, Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim... it's real bad lol
You really need to work through that backlog then. Metro`s worth it.

Chatroom