Obsidian's next game to be announced at The Game Awards on December 6th

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Pretty sure this is "The Outer Worlds" based on the "Spacer's Choice" tagline, that one Obsidian trademark people were speculating a bunch about. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, the godfathers of Fallout, have been working as leads on a secret project together there so this is likely it, as I personally can't see Obsidian working on over 2 projects simultaneously at this stage. They already have me hyped with the retro-futuristic vibe combined with some hints of Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy, can't wait to see the full reveal. I wonder if it's going to have the isometric CRPG gameplay from their past 3 titles, go for a 3D NWN2 take, or be a open action-RPG like New Vegas. Any new franchise from Obsidian, especially one conceived by the creators of Fallout, is bound to be incredibly exciting. I just hope it's a bit more ambitious than their last 3 games, because these guys deserve a huge new IP for them to go crazy with for years to come. Not saying Pillars of Eternity was lacking, but they started that when the company was barely surviving financially.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Pretty sure this is "The Outer Worlds" based on the "Spacer's Choice" tagline, that one Obsidian trademark people were speculating a bunch about. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, the godfathers of Fallout, have been working as leads on a secret project together there so this is likely it, as I personally can't see Obsidian working on over 2 projects simultaneously at this stage. They already have me hyped with the retro-futuristic vibe combined with some hints of Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy, can't wait to see the full reveal. I wonder if it's going to have the isometric CRPG gameplay from their past 3 titles, go for a 3D NWN2 take, or be a open action-RPG like New Vegas. Any new franchise from Obsidian, especially one conceived by the creators of Fallout, is bound to be incredibly exciting. I just hope it's a bit more ambitious than their last 3 games, because these guys deserve a huge new IP for them to go crazy with for years to come. Not saying Pillars of Eternity was lacking, but they started that when the company was barely surviving financially.
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are working on Project Indiana aka Fallout: New Gary, not 'Outer Worlds'. These are obviously just Indiana-specific brands in the Fallout universe.

A quick look at Obsidian's official hiring page indicates they're hiring designers/programmers/engineers for Unreal Engine. I think it's safe to say this is a 3D title if this project is their big one. I recall that Feargus Urquhart said in a 2017 Eurogamer interview that Pillars II wasn't their biggest project and that (presumably Project Indiana) was even bigger. Also, a lot of signs from the leads on this project that they might go for a FPS RPG combo, so it's possible this game will please the hardcore New Vegas fans.

Tim Cain did a talk about 2 years ago and said he also enjoys FPS games in addition to RPGs; it'd be pretty legendary if Obsidian could pull off those classic design sensibilities (reactive worlds, player agency, deep character systems) in an immersive 3D game again with the necessary time to polish and create their own IP for once. Just with two of the Fallout masterminds being at the top, they have my attention. But this might be the big one. Although I still think it's hard to be disappointed with a new Obsidian game even if they don't go with the "New Vegas Spiritual Successor/FPS CRPG Hybrid" route that a lot of people want.

Chatroom