Politics in games

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
In games with a decently heavy story presence such as RPGs, there are oftentimes political influences pervading some story or character themes. For instance, Skyrim clearly displays themes such as nationalism, racism, and self determination with the civil war, and Mass Effect: Andromeda's ham-fisted transgender character undoubtedly had political influences. What are your thoughts on politics in games? Where do you personally draw the line in what you'll tolerate?

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
It's difficult to make media without opinions and messages, so why bother. Instead, they can go all in and try to share an opinion and make some discussion.
I understand the sentiment, but I think that can lead to a lot of games just coming off as obnoxious.

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
Theres a difference between a game having broad political themes (like Skyrim and many other games) and a game shoving a contemporary political agenda down your throat. No I would not want a game telling me how horrible trump is or vice versa, but I do appreciate a game that can deal with political themes in a mature and non-heavy handed (looking at you David Cage) manner.

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
I don't really see how having a trans-gendered person in the game is "ham-fisted" to be honest. They are a type of person who exists and Bioware has always been very inclusive and their games. Makes them more interesting to play because there are always a diverse range of people (talking specifically about Dragon Age mostly). Much like the rest of the LGBT community back in the 80's and 90's, transgender as a thing has only started too become a recognized mainstream form of life and seeing it in games/film nowadays isn't "ham-fisted" its the just natural course of these kinds of things.

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
I don't really see how having a trans-gendered person in the game is "ham-fisted" to be honest. They are a type of person who exists and Bioware has always been very inclusive and their games. Makes them more interesting to play because there are always a diverse range of people (talking specifically about Dragon Age mostly). Much like the rest of the LGBT community back in the 80's and 90's, transgender as a thing has only started too become a recognized mainstream form of life and seeing it in games/film nowadays isn't "ham-fisted" its the just natural course of these kinds of things.
I’ve seen actual LGBTQ ppl upset bc of how ME3 handled them tho. They say they’re just regular ppl but bioware has to make a big deal out of it like “hey this character’s gay!” Instead of it just being natural like TLOU

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
I’ve seen actual LGBTQ ppl upset bc of how ME3 handled them tho. They say they’re just regular ppl but bioware has to make a big deal out of it like “hey this character’s gay!” Instead of it just being natural like TLOU
Like as a token? Probably. I haven't really seen much discussion revolving Mass Effect 3 since my time delving into this sort of thing.

To me I agree that it shouldn't be made too be such a huge deal and writers should include them without them being something on the back of the box, if that makes sense. But then on the other hand, there is a subset of people who get really REALLY mad whenever there is a gay person or a trans person in a video game or film. I really don't see that as a political narrative because sexuality/gender/sex isn't a political issue even though some people (a lot of people unfortunately) try and make it one. I think its better to just let people be themselves without using them as a narrative standpoint.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
It wasn't ham-fisted just because she was transgender. You basically walk up to this lady and she's like 'hey, I was a dude!'. I agree that the inclusion of characters like this isn't a problem, but it needs to be done better.

ODgoon

Staff member
Bioshock did a great job with this, showing the dangers of Ayn Rand's philosophy by actually digging deep into the issues like showing healthcare in vending machines and a lack of social fabric in Rapture where everyone kind of fends for themselves.

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member
As a politics junkie I actually prefer my games to shy away from direct politics, though I see the Transgender character in ME as more of a sign of the growing transgender community and being more inclusive and less a political statement. Generally though I would prefer the game industry stay out of current politics and if they include them in a game use broad generalizations.

ODgoon

Staff member
As a politics junkie I actually prefer my games to shy away from direct politics, though I see the Transgender character in ME as more of a sign of the growing transgender community and being more inclusive and less a political statement. Generally though I would prefer the game industry stay out of current politics and if they include them in a game use broad generalizations.
Agreed, games should not have politics for the sake of "owning the libs" or "owning the cons"

Arch

Known Poster
In game politics is fun, and a lot of games are great because of it.
Rautai and the Companies in Pillars was excellent
Witcher 2 and 3s politics are also GOAT.
And so is Kotor 2.

but the whole ''this is bad, this is good'' is shit.
like hamfisting in ethnicities and genders just to be equal, be loyal to your vision regardless of who gets offended.

I don't really care about it severely, I just think that a lot of games should follow through on their own visions instead of being afraid of what happens if they don't say this or do that.

HOWEVER
the whole Wolfenstein ''Punch a Nazi'' was brilliant, and those who got offended to that are cunts.

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
HOWEVER
the whole Wolfenstein ''Punch a Nazi'' was brilliant, and those who got offended to that are cunts.
I wasn't necessarily offended, but I definitely felt it was in bad taste. The phrase had been co-opted by Antifa and the whole 'assault those you disagree with' crowd, so it kinda felt like tacit support of the political violence and watering down of the public discourse we've been seeing for the past few years. I bought and enjoyed the game though, but I wouldn't be surprised if that marketing tactic was part of the reason it supposedly undersold.

Arch

Known Poster
I wasn't necessarily offended, but I definitely felt it was in bad taste. The phrase had been co-opted by Antifa and the whole 'assault those you disagree with' crowd, so it kinda felt like tacit support of the political violence and watering down of the public discourse we've been seeing for the past few years. I bought and enjoyed the game though, but I wouldn't be surprised if that marketing tactic was part of the reason it supposedly undersold.
Okay, but we know Nazis were bad, and in Wolfenstein you kill nazis, so I think that was no problem.

I hate commies and nazis, and no one should idolize either, which is why i think the ''punch a nazi'' worked.

I also hate Antifa and all that comes with, but the game slogan was just that, so I didn't understand the **outrage** from some.

Last edited:

Chatroom