Red Dead Redemption II Gameplay First Impressions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
By @Monte

Almost two years after it’s announcement, Rockstar Games finally blessed us with some actual Red Dead Redemption II gameplay footage. Suffice to say, it was worth the wait (and delays). With RDR2, Rockstar says they set out to not just make another massive, beautiful looking world, but a living world with much more depth and player reactivity than any they have created previously.

22EB7418-6518-45BC-9F81-5DEC79D03CEF.png

The biggest example of this is the character interaction system. Players controlling protagonist Arthur Morgan can seemingly go up to any NPC in the world and interact with them at the press of a button, either by greeting them with small talk, antagonizing them with an aggressive comment, or of course, pointing a gun at them. We are shown a few examples of this in the trailer, and the button indicators change dynamically depending on the situation. In one instance, Arthur calls out to a passing rider and compliments his horse. In another, Arthur tries to defuse a sticky situation he got into with the local sheriff. In yet another instance where the player has a wanted level (a similar witness/justice system to the one in RDR1 has returned) the player can choose to intimade the witness into silence by either pointing/shooting his gun, or beating the witness. The button indicators change again when Arthur comes across a robber on the side of the road, Arthur could choose to rob the criminal himself, but instead chooses to let him be. This system should give players a variety of choices in every situation, and allows for much deeper role playing. Many of these interactions also seem to lead into Stranger missions (hopefully they’re as good as the very memorable ones in RDR1). Rockstar also says that these choices will have consequences, and it’s up to the player to decide just how honorable Arthur is. What remains to be seen is how much of an impact these choices will have on the player’s story and the world. There was a morality meter in RDR1, but it had no real effect on the story or the world. If Rockstar is following the cues of The Witcher 3’s heavy choice and consequence, players will be in for a real treat. At the very least, it is nice to actually be able to interact with npc’s in the world in ways besides just murdering them like in RDR1 or GTA V.

71B44B2B-4440-442C-BCC8-3629B210CD6B.jpeg
A screenshot showcasing the new npc interaction system (bottom right)

RDR2 also is placing a heavy emphasis on the interaction between the player and the other gang members in your traveling camp. It seems all the members of the Van der Linde gang will be fully fleshed out, and Arthur can get to know each one (including John Marston) personally, unlocking secret missions and side activities such as card playing and drinking. One of the most exciting moments of the trailer for me was seeing the return of the Poker minigame. The first RDR basically taught me how to play Texas Hold ‘em, and I spent more time racking up digital chips than I’d care to admit. I’m especially looking forward to getting to learn more about the Van der Linde gang members featured in RDR1 such as Bill Williamson and Javier Escuela.

EA9105D3-F072-4333-8794-A13A1A951E8A.jpeg
Poker playing with fellow gang members in RDR2

Rockstar also says they have vastly improved melee and gun combat to be “deep and engaging at all times”. While this is nice to hear, it’ll be hard to gauge if they delivered on this promise until we play the game ourselves. Ragdoll physics also seem more realistic as well. One thing is for sure however, those reload animations are clean as fuck.

Another way RDR2 is deeper than its predecessor is with horse mechanics. No longer just a mode of transportation, the horse is treated as a living being, and your treatment and bond with it will determine how useful your horse is in combat situations. I can see myself getting very attached to my horse, lord have mercy on the poor soul who harms it!

BC64713D-2F41-4E1C-B774-950CD960F894.png

Overall, there seems to be an incredible amount of depth and detail in RDR2, rivaling that of any open world game ever released. This game has been in development for quite some time, and is the first combined effort of all of Rockstar’s Studios (over 1000 people), and it shows. RDR2 is also stunningly beautiful running on a PS4 Pro (one can only imagine how it would look on PC), and absolutely nails the Western aesthetic, while seeming to achieve a level of immersion that just was not possible in 2010 when RDR1 released.

ADAE46FF-E2EE-4E61-8443-7C4EC1C811A1.png
The man, the myth, the legend: John Marston

Rockstar has only scratched the surface however, as we will find out more about the story missions, side activities, and dead eye sharpshooting in the next RDR2 gameplay video, hopefully coming soon. Quite surprisingly, RDR2’s inevitable Online mode has not even been mentioned yet, which should allay any fears some may have had that Rockstar would lose focus on single player after the success of GTA Online. I cannot wait to see more about this game, and you can bet your wolf pelts that I will be here discussing any future RDR2 gameplay!

Red Dead Redemption 2 (developed by Rockstar Studios) releases October 28th, 2018

Last edited:
They should release it for PC :(
Oh they will. You bet they're going to squeeze out as many sales on console as possible, then try to double dip with a PC release.

and I'll be one of those people who buy it twice because I'm a sucker.
:imhigh:

Last edited:
By @Monte

Almost two years after it’s announcement, Rockstar Games finally blessed us with some actual Red Dead Redemption II gameplay footage. Suffice to say, it was worth the wait (and delays). With RDR2, Rockstar says they set out to not just make another massive, beautiful looking world, but a living world with much more depth and player reactivity than any they have created previously.

View attachment 133

The biggest example of this is the character interaction system. Players controlling protagonist Arthur Morgan can seemingly go up to any NPC in the world and interact with them at the press of a button, either by greeting them with small talk, antagonizing them with an aggressive comment, or of course, pointing a gun at them. We are shown a few examples of this in the trailer, and the button indicators change dynamically depending on the situation. In one instance, Arthur calls out to a passing rider and compliments his horse. In another, Arthur tries to defuse a sticky situation he got into with the local sheriff. In yet another instance where the player has a wanted level (a similar witness/justice system to the one in RDR1 has returned) the player can choose to intimade the witness into silence by either pointing/shooting his gun, or beating the witness. The button indicators change again when Arthur comes across a robber on the side of the road, Arthur could choose to rob the criminal himself, but instead chooses to let him be. This system should give players a variety of choices in every situation, and allows for much deeper role playing. Many of these interactions also seem to lead into Stranger missions (hopefully they’re as good as the very memorable ones in RDR1). Rockstar also says that these choices will have consequences, and it’s up to the player to decide just how honorable Arthur is. What remains to be seen is how much of an impact these choices will have on the player’s story and the world. There was a morality meter in RDR1, but it had no real effect on the story or the world. If Rockstar is following the cues of The Witcher 3’s heavy choice and consequence, players will be in for a real treat. At the very least, it is nice to actually be able to interact with npc’s in the world in ways besides just murdering them like in RDR1 or GTA V.

View attachment 131
A screenshot showcasing the new npc interaction system (bottom right)

RDR2 also is placing a heavy emphasis on the interaction between the player and the other gang members in your traveling camp. It seems all the members of the Van der Linde gang will be fully fleshed out, and Arthur can get to know each one (including John Marston) personally, unlocking secret missions and side activities such as card playing and drinking. One of the most exciting moments of the trailer for me was seeing the return of the Poker minigame. The first RDR basically taught me how to play Texas Hold ‘em, and I spent more time racking up digital chips than I’d care to admit. I’m especially looking forward to getting to learn more about the Van der Linde gang members featured in RDR1 such as Bill Williamson and Javier Escuela.

View attachment 132
Poker playing with fellow gang members in RDR2

Rockstar also says they have vastly improved melee and gun combat to be “deep and engaging at all times”. While this is nice to hear, it’ll be hard to gauge if they delivered on this promise until we play the game ourselves. Ragdoll physics also seem more realistic as well. One thing is for sure however, those reload animations are clean as fuck.

Another way RDR2 is deeper than its predecessor is with horse mechanics. No longer just a mode of transportation, the horse is treated as a living being, and your treatment and bond with it will determine how useful your horse is in combat situations. I can see myself getting very attached to my horse, lord have mercy on the poor soul who harms it!

View attachment 134

Overall, there seems to be an incredible amount of depth and detail in RDR2, rivaling that of any open world game ever released. This game has been in development for quite some time, and is the first combined effort of all of Rockstar’s Studios (over 1000 people), and it shows. RDR2 is also stunningly beautiful running on a PS4 Pro (one can only imagine how it would look on PC), and absolutely nails the Western aesthetic, while seeming to achieve a level of immersion that just was not possible in 2010 when RDR1 released.

View attachment 135
The man, the myth, the legend: John Marston

Rockstar has only scratched the surface however, as we will find out more about the story missions, side activities, and dead eye sharpshooting in the next RDR2 gameplay video, hopefully coming soon. Quite surprisingly, RDR2’s inevitable Online mode has not even been mentioned yet, which should allay any fears some may have had that Rockstar would lose focus on single player after the success of GTA Online. I cannot wait to see more about this game, and you can bet your wolf pelts that I will be here discussing any future RDR2 gameplay!

Red Dead Redemption 2 (developed by Rockstar Studios) releases October 28th, 2018
It's nice to see what they're doing with interactions. It was always annoying when you had a gun pointed straight at a witness and they'd just run. I just hope the interactions, events, and animal behavior is much more dynamic and varied than the entirely predictable stuff we had in the first game. Especially with the events you'd come across, they got stale pretty fast. I killed more robbers and knife-wielding serial killers in that one alley behind the Armadillo saloon than I can count.

It's good to see cards making a return. At the very least, I put a dozen hours in just playing Texas Hold 'Em, but I'm more interested in what other games and activities they might include.

Great analysis, these promotional videos are really proving that Rockstar is setting out to make a proper sequel. It also looks like they're going beyond their traditional formula with the interactivity that you described from the gameplay. The world looks absolutely fantastic, I really believe this will be the deepest wild west sim in gaming history. I do hope that the reaction of certain random NPCs vary depending on the situation you find them in, unless they have a large variety of random encounters to generate across the world. I could see it getting awkward in a repeatable situation where every murderer lets Arthur roam free if he witnesses them in the act, making it so he successfully de-escalates the confrontation every single time no matter the disposition of the perpetrator.

Chatroom

Virtual Realms: Realizing Immersive Narrative in Games
VIRTUAL REALMS: REALIZING IMMERSIVE NARRATIVE IN GAMES
By @Radvantage

Video games are the pinnacle of interactive entertainment. As we approach the final years of the eighth generation of consoles, it is astonishing to see how games have evolved. The technical fidelity that we experience today allows for a relatively robust depiction of the developer’s imagination. It was only about two decades ago when programming wizards first constructed algorithms that were capable of simulating rudimentary three-dimensional graphics. Pioneers of this technology, such as id Software and its lead programmer, John Carmack, utilized a method known as ray casting to display its corridors in 1992’s Wolfenstein 3D. Designers generated levels by placing objects in a grid, with wall...
By @Monte

22EB7418-6518-45BC-9F81-5DEC79D03CEF.png

The biggest example of this is the character interaction system. Players controlling protagonist Arthur Morgan can seemingly go up to any NPC in the world and interact with them at the press of a button, either by greeting them with small talk, antagonizing them with an aggressive comment, or of course, pointing a gun at them. We are shown a few examples of this in the trailer, and the button...

"Kingdom Come: Deliverance" INTERVIEW Rick Lagnese Talks DLC, RPG Mechanics, and Skyrim Comparisons

SB EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" PR/Community Manager Rick Lagnese Talks DLC, RPG Mechanics, Skyrim Comparisons and More

In an interview conducted just days before Kingdom Come: Deliverance's impending February 13th release, Warhorse Studios' head of PR and Community Relations for the U.S., Rick Lagnese, stopped by to chat with sugarbombed.com about their long awaited, open world, historically accurate Bohemian RPG.

Some of the topics discussed included in depth discussion of the game's RPG mechanics (including how many/what kinds of perks there are, character customization, crime and punishment etc), the story ("history will repeat itself in Kingdom Come Deliverance, but it's up to the player how you get there" says Lagnese), Warhorse's relationship with Deep Silver, and possible...

SB Exclusive: Chris Avellone Talks "Prey"

SB EXCLUSIVE: CHRIS AVELLONE TALKS "PREY"
Chris Avellone goes into detail on the development of Arkane's Prey reboot, including his specific involvement in its design, his thoughts on review scores, and reveals Prey's wild ending was not actually the original ending.

Chris Avellone is a legend in the gaming industry, and has worked on some of the greatest western RPG's of all time like Fallout 2, New Vegas, KOTOR 2, and more. I first got the chance to interview him last Fall on a range of topics from Fallout and Bethesda, to game design in general which you can read here. With his recent...

SB Exclusive: Chris Avellone Interview Pts. 1 & 2

CHRIS AVELLONE INTERVIEW PART 1 (originally posted 10/31/16)

Chris Avellone is a legend in the gaming industry, and has worked on some of the greatest western RPG's of all time like Fallout 2, New Vegas, KOTOR 2, and more. Last fall, I had the chance to send him some questions via email. Chris was gracious enough to give me some good responses. This is Part 1 of that interview and the main topics are Chris' time at Obsidian and his thoughts on Bethesda/Fallout 4. Scroll down for Part 2 which discusses a wide array of topics including New Vegas, quest writing, and South Park: SOT . The long awaited Part 3 which will mainly be discussing Prey will be released sometime in the near future. Stay Tuned!

SB: In an interview with Inside Gaming in 2013, you mentioned that one of the locations you’d like to see a...