Should we care if musicians do shady things outside music

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Eddie

The Writer
Should we care if musicians do shady things, such as break the law, have a history of domestic abuse, treating fan badly, constantly going to jail.

Should this factor in how good their music is?

Should we not listen their music if any of that apply?

Or

Is the music the only think important in music?

Fallout God

Fallout God of Assassin's Effect
Should we care if musicians do shady things, such as break the law, have a history of domestic abuse, treating fan badly, constantly going to jail.

Should this factor in how good their music is?

Should we not listen their music if any of that apply?

Or

Is the music the only think important in music?
Hmmm, I guess we should care because that means there will be less shady musicians, however it also means they'll be more discreet in their scummyness. So really caring could be an effective tool to stop them being scum, but really it's the music people want so why does it matter if the musician's an asshole?

Eddie

The Writer
Hmmm, I guess we should care because that means there will be less shady musicians, however it also means they'll be more discreet in their scummyness. So really caring could be an effective tool to stop them being scum, but really it's the music people want so why does it matter if the musician's an asshole?
Should we choose to not listen to someone's music if we disagree with what they do outside of music?

Fallout God

Should we choose to not listen to someone's music if we disagree with what they do outside of music?
If you like it then no, why would you not eat an icecream because the inventor was racist (example, not factual, though probably true XD). However if you are strongly principled and want to boycott his or her music because of his or her actions then sure.

Eddie

The Writer
If you like it then no, why would you not eat an icecream because the inventor was racist (example, not factual, though probably true XD). However if you are strongly principled and want to boycott his or her music because of his or her actions then sure.
I wasn't stating my opinion by the way, I'm just trying to see what people think

Eddie

The Writer
Okay, that's fine. I never presumed you were. :p
What is your opinion though?
Well since you're asking lol

I don't thin it really matters, I would say if you don't like what they do call them out on it, but if they make good music, than that should be recognized as well.

Art is subjective, and shouldn't be judged by who the creator is.

Fallout God

Well since you're asking lol

I don't thin it really matters, I would say if you don't like what they do call them out on it, but if they make good music, than that should be recognized as well.

Art is subjective, and shouldn't be judged by who the creator is.
Couldn't agree more.

Cavemanman

The Greatest Face in Koridai
Yes,

If it's against the law, like substance abuse or domestic violence. Then they shouldn't be pardoned due to their talent. They should be treated like any other human being.

If it's something shitty like mistreating a fan or being a general asshole, they fans still have the right to decide to not support them. Just having talent or a career is not an excuse for being a garbage human being. I don't want to give my money to someone if they're just gonna use it to fuck over other people and be a waste of life.

Eddie

The Writer
Yes,

If it's against the law, like substance abuse or domestic violence. Then they shouldn't be pardoned due to their talent. They should be treated like any other human being.

If it's something shitty like mistreating a fan or being a general asshole, they fans still have the right to decide to not support them. Just having talent or a career is not an excuse for being a garbage human being. I don't want to give my money to someone if they're just gonna use it to fuck over other people and be a waste of life.

I wasn't asking if they should go to jail or not, what I'm really asking is should their music be judged based off who the person is

What the musician has done or is doing behind the scenes factors greatly into the music itself. Music is an expression of the musician in question. So if they have a past of crimes and drugs, they may sing about said topics or subtly use metaphors to mask their use. Now does that mean their music can be tainted by questionable behind the scenes actions? Yes and no. Yes because it can hinder how they express themselves. When one is facing criminal accusations, you tend to lose focus on what you are doing, thus breeding an inferior product. Now the no factors into the simple fact that the music isn't always about the musician.

There are musicians out there, like Joan Baez or Phil Ochs (who I am not a big fan of), that you listen to almost purely for the musician's passion. If Baez had been doing crimes at the time of singing songs such as Here's to You or Hasta Siempre Comandante, they would of lacked the emotion that makes them so memorable. So for them it would be a cause to care. Musicians like Baez are rare, especially today. Most are listened to not for their emotion, but for their instrumentals and or vocals. Some great examples are modern pop and country. Few people care for what's being sung because the singer themselves isn't particularly passionate about what they are singing (do note that this isn't representative of all modern singers). People listen to them because the instruments, and voice at times, keep them transfixed and in the groove. So if a modern pop or country singer were to be a low key crime lord, I wouldn't see much of a reason to personally care. Their music would be relatively unaffected.

So the question comes down to a yes and no answer. Yes because it can deeply affect the passion of the singer, and no because the music isn't always meant to be an intense expression of the artist.

Eddie

The Writer
What the musician has done or is doing behind the scenes factors greatly into the music itself. Music is an expression of the musician in question. So if they have a past of crimes and drugs, they may sing about said topics or subtly use metaphors to mask their use. Now does that mean their music can be tainted by questionable behind the scenes actions? Yes and no. Yes because it can hinder how they express themselves. When one is facing criminal accusations, you tend to lose focus on what you are doing, thus breeding an inferior product. Now the no factors into the simple fact that the music isn't always about the musician.

There are musicians out there, like Joan Baez or Phil Ochs (who I am not a big fan of), that you listen to almost purely for the musician's passion. If Baez had been doing crimes at the time of singing songs such as Here's to You or Hasta Siempre Comandante, they would of lacked the emotion that makes them so memorable. So for them it would be a cause to care. Musicians like Baez are rare, especially today. Most are listened to not for their emotion, but for their instrumentals and or vocals. Some great examples are modern pop and country. Few people care for what's being sung because the singer themselves isn't particularly passionate about what they are singing (do note that this isn't representative of all modern singers). People listen to them because the instruments, and voice at times, keep them transfixed and in the groove. So if a modern pop or country singer were to be a low key crime lord, I wouldn't see much of a reason to personally care. Their music would be relatively unaffected.

So the question comes down to a yes and no answer. Yes because it can deeply affect the passion of the singer, and no because the music isn't always meant to be an intense expression of the artist.
Should the music be judged by the musicians actions?

The actions of someone should effect whether or not you like their music?
Like I answered, not if it doesn't affect the music. If the music isn't affected at all by the actions of the singer, there really is no reason to hate said music. You can hate the musician for being a prick or scumbag, but the music should be treated as a separate entity, just as other forms of art are.

One of my favourite bands is a one man black metal band called Burzum. The man behind this is Varg Vikernes who went to prison for murder and arson. He's also a bit of a racist. None of these facts affect the music for me as I believe that the art and the artist is separate. I can enjoy the art without needing to like the artist themselves.

Chatroom