Spiderman sucks because muh police brutality

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Recently, there's been somewhat of a controversy over Spiderman's relationship with police in the new game, Spiderman. This originally started with a comically titled Deadspin article which became a laughingstock, but some other outlets have started copy...expressing vaguely similar ideas.

The claim in these articles seems to be that Spiderman's chummy attitude towards cops makes him boring and complicit in police misconduct and muh oppression of muh vulnerable minorities. In addition, the amount of the story and gameplay mechanics involving helping the NYPD catch criminals and track crime clearly makes him a neoconservative, authoritarian fascist.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But isn't this supposed to be a fun, lighthearted superhero game?" you may be asking yourselves. "Is this really the best or even an effective game through which to tackle such a nuanced and increasingly complex issue like police brutality and misconduct? Should purely fun-based and highly commercialized games like Spiderman even attempt such a thing? And doesn't it make sense that a character like Spiderman would collaborate with the police?" Now, I'm sure it's hard for your simple minds to fathom this, so let me explain these obviously self-evident truths. Spiderman is clearly a very serious game which is a prime opportunity to voice opinions on such issues, if anything, it lost sales due to ignoring these issues, and it makes absolutely no sense for Spiderman to have anything but hatred for the NYPD.

Let muh boi Pink Hair at Kotaku break it down for you:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/spider-mans-take-on-police-feels-out-of-touch-1828978785/amp

Last edited:

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
I read the article. There are actually a lot of interesting and thought provoking points in it. Its literally just a thought experiment and the writer still likes the game a lot.

Also if video games are too be seen as art they should be interpreted as such. I'm not sure if the original title to this thread is a joke, but the article writer doesn't even think the game sucks or is bad or anything like that.

This is a good video on fake outrage. You might find it interesting!

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
I read the article. There are actually a lot of interesting and thought provoking points in it. Its literally just a thought experiment and the writer still likes the game a lot.

Also if video games are too be seen as art they should be interpreted as such. I'm not sure if the original title to this thread is a joke, but the article writer doesn't even think the game sucks or is bad or anything like that.

Yeah, everything about the original post is just a huge hyperbole of the position of the people writing these articles.

Games should be interpreted as art, yes, but my point is that you shouldn't expect or call for some profound political message in every piece of media. Books and films are also works of art, but it'd be insane to expect a deep underlying message about workers' rights in Three Men in a Boat or about the horrors of the CIA in Meet the Parents. Some pieces of art just aren't serious nor political, and that's OK.

Last edited:

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder

Come on meetch the article is ridiculous, whats next a “thought experiment” about GTA promoting violence toward police?

Obama

Known Poster

You actually read the article and formulated an opinion from the article and not the headline what sort of SJW are you?

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
Yeah, everything about the original post is just a huge hyperbole of the position of the people writing these articles.

Games should be interpreted as art, yes, but my point is that you shouldn't expect or call for some profound political message in every piece of media. Books and films are also works of art, but it'd be insane to expect a deep underlying message about workers' rights in Three Men in a Boat or about the horrors of the CIA in Meet the Parents. Some pieces of art just aren't serious nor political, and that's OK.
Sure but you can interpret art with a social/political framework. You can interpret art in many ways. DOOM maybe JUST about killing demons to someone who doesn't think critically about their favorite media but if you use a political framework too interpret its message its fairly critical of Capitalism and is anti-corporate. Almost all pieces of media have something to say, even if its fairly small and most people don't pick up on it.

And sure its really easy to list a few pieces of media which don't have enough to interpret, but that doesn't mean that Spiderman PS4 doesn't have some interesting political commentary within it... especially in this day in age. Its rare for anything to not have political commentary in it somewhere.

Come on meetch the article is ridiculous, whats next a “thought experiment” about GTA promoting violence toward police?
Yeah it would be pretty ridiculous if it was an opinion piece I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Even people in the comments are trying to prove the original writer wrong or something...? The writer isn't stating any facts or anything. She's just talking retrospectively about systems in the game vs in real life. Usually when one does a thought experiment they combine too differing perspectives together and come to some sort of understanding or you know, thought

But really I think that people misinterpreting thought experiments for opinion pieces is a bi-product of modern journalism always having to be some sort of hit piece. Kotaku especially is bad for this and the article we're talking about here was actually rather refreshing. If they kept this sort of thing up it might give its readers some sort of perspective for a change.

You actually read the article and formulated an opinion from the article and not the headline what sort of SJW are you?
I know right! I'm a traitor to the Sjew cult and I will surely be punished for my actions!

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Sure but you can interpret art with a social/political framework. You can interpret art in many ways. DOOM maybe JUST about killing demons to someone who doesn't think critically about their favorite media but if you use a political framework too interpret its message its fairly critical of Capitalism and is anti-corporate. Almost all pieces of media have something to say, even if its fairly small and most people don't pick up on it.

And sure its really easy to list a few pieces of media which don't have enough to interpret, but that doesn't mean that Spiderman PS4 doesn't have some interesting political commentary within it... especially in this day in age. Its rare for anything to not have political commentary in it somewhere.

Yeah it would be pretty ridiculous if it was an opinion piece I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Even people in the comments are trying to prove the original writer wrong or something...? The writer isn't stating any facts or anything. She's just talking retrospectively about systems in the game vs in real life. Usually when one does a thought experiment they combine too differing perspectives together and come to some sort of understanding or you know, thought

But really I think that people misinterpreting thought experiments for opinion pieces is a bi-product of modern journalism always having to be some sort of hit piece. Kotaku especially is bad for this and the article we're talking about here was actually rather refreshing. If they kept this sort of thing up it might give its readers some sort of perspective for a change.

I know right! I'm a traitor to the Sjew cult and I will surely be punished for my actions!
Yeah, there's some political commentary in most pieces of media, but I'd be very surprised if the devs at Insomniac intended to send any message about the police. The author's issue seems to be that Spiderman sends an authoritarian message where police and the justice system in general are perfect and should track us all to ensure our safety. I just think it's more likely that the designers wanted to make a fun superhero game than that they're all radically pro-police. This is the problem with games journalists and far leftists in general: they think literally everything (this one isn't even a hyperbole) is political. They tried to claim fucking Tetris was political because it used Russian folk music.

The term SJeW doesn't even make sense. The vast majority of SJWs aren't intelligent enough to be even half Jewish :p

Obama

Known Poster
Yeah, there's some political commentary in most pieces of media, but I'd be very surprised if the devs at Insomniac intended to send any message about the police. The author's issue seems to be that Spiderman sends an authoritarian message where police and the justice system in general are perfect and should track us all to ensure our safety. I just think it's more likely that the designers wanted to make a fun superhero game than that they're all radically pro-police. This is the problem with games journalists and far leftists in general: they think literally everything (this one isn't even a hyperbole) is political. They tried to claim fucking Tetris was political because it used Russian folk music.

The term SJeW doesn't even make sense. The vast majority of SJWs aren't intelligent enough to be even half Jewish :p
Cj pls what you think of far leftist is probably a liberal feminist. I would recommend not watching as much sargon

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Cj pls what you think of far leftist is probably a liberal feminist. I would recommend not watching as much sargon
If liberal to you means someone of the left, that'd be accurate. I'm more talking about the communistic, radical feminists types. Your typical liberal, center-left Democrat doesn't try to argue that the personal is political.

Chatroom