The Misunderstanding of Fallout 76

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
an Expose on Bethesda’s Marketing
by: @Monte

A9780B24-A412-40E1-8BED-5A5FCBC4259F.jpeg

(After getting to play the Fallout 76 Stress Test, I was inspired to write some thoughts on the marketing for this title. Those with superb memories may recall an article of mine with this same title about Fallout 4 in the run up to its 2015 release, although that was a very different situation (you can read an archived version of it right here). Overall I enjoyed my short time with the game, but Bethesda’s NDA is preventing me from elaborating further on my experience. My full impressions of the game itself will be forthcoming once the NDA lifts.)

Since even before its reveal, I’ve struggled to figure out what exactly Fallout 76 is. Is it a Rust inspired cash grab? Is it a traditional Bethesda Game Studios game, just with online multiplayer? Or is it something entirely different? This confusion can be partially blamed on typical games media sensationalism, but the blame must largely fall on Bethesda’s marketing; which I would describe as unconventional at best, or mind bogglingly stupid and counter productive at worst.

After an E3 showcase which didn’t dive as deep into the game as some hoped, the marketing for Fallout 76 consisted primarily of animated Vault Boy cartoons. While these cartoons were well made and funny in their own right, they did little to give me any sort of feeling of what this game is like. Very little was shared by Bethesda besides these cartoons, save for a “making of” documentary (by Noclip Studios, you can watch it here) and some previews/interviews which featured largely the same regurgitated info. Even lead designer Todd Howard, when pressed on how different 76 is from other BGS titles, couldn’t provide a clear answer stating “it is 80% similar, and 20% is really different” Whatever the hell that means.

F03D5017-5E08-47F9-94C5-2BBC0CCE7A30.jpeg
Fallout 76 is not a cartoon animated game, but you wouldn’t know that from its marketing.

Then a couple weeks ago, we finally got to see the game in (very stuttery and laggy) action; as dozens of youtubers shared footage they recorded at a Bethesda event in West Virginia. Sadly, much of the footage was almost unwatchable due to performance issues. Bethesda said this footage was of a 2 week old build, which begs the question, why they would even let footage of the game in this state be shown without limits? Wouldn’t it make more sense for Bethesda to show the game off themselves, the way it’s meant to be played, and in the best possible light? I think so.

The performance issues were also largely due to the fact that many of these youtubers darted to the far reaches of Appalachia, and ran around the map like chickens with their heads cut off. Obviously, this is not the way the game is meant to be played. Yes, a core tenet of Bethesda games are that you can go anywhere and do anything, but all of their games still have a clearly designed progression that players are supposed to follow in the early stages of the game. In Fallout 3, that path leads from Vault 101, to Springvale, to Megaton, and then usually the Super Duper Mart or another nearby location. Fallout New Vegas is maybe the strictest in this regard, virtually blocking players from heading straight North to New Vegas (by filling the area with Deathclaws and Cazadors), players are supposed to go from Goodsprings to Primm and almost circumnavigate the map before heading to Vegas. In Fallout 4, the Sole Survivor’s path is supposed to take him or her from Vault 111, to Sanctuary Hills, then to Concord where you meet everyone’s favorite companion, Preston, and obtain (too early) a suit of Power Armor. After the training wheels come off in these early stages, the player can continue to follow the path of the main story, or they can venture off to pretty much wherever without their experience suffering. Fallout 76 is no different in this regard. Your path through Appalachia begins in Vault 76, then to a camp set up by the Overseer, then to the abandoned town of Flatwoods, then to Morgantown Airport. Unlike many neurotic youtubers, I decided to follow this progression, and I’m glad that I did. Going straight from Vault 76 to The Greenbriar is the equivalent of going from Vault 101 straight to The Citadel in Fallout 3. The whole experience feels disjointed, and neither the player nor the NPC’s seem to know why you’re there.

Another example of a lapse in Bethesda’s marketing for Fallout 76 is the new realtime VATS system. Usually, when a game franchise has a new take on a staple feature, the developer showcases it themselves to ease fans into the change. Unless you were paying very close attention, the average consumer likely knew nothing about how VATS works in Fallout 76 prior to the new Youtuber footage being released. So, said consumers were probably caught off guard when they saw the new VATS mechanic in all its disorienting, real time glory. Bethesda could have easily demonstrated and explained the new mechanic themselves in a brief trailer, and avoided any confusion. Instead, they let random Youtubers do their job for them, and it backfired miserably; with many on social media (including myself) deriding how awkward the new VATS looked.

1ED85B2A-B2D0-4318-89E7-844A3A8213C0.jpeg
Fallout 76’s VATS mechanic is in real time, and its received mixed opinions so far.

Bethesda (the publisher) often likes to be creative and inventive with their marketing; the marketing campaigns for Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, and most recently RAGE 2, were some of the best in recent memory, and very successful in getting attention for their respective titles. Pete Hines and his team are also very calculated (like all AAA publishers); everything they do and say (or don’t) is purposeful. So it’s no surprise that sometimes these marketing campaigns don’t work as well as initially planned. Maybe in an era of downgrades, misleading marketing, and outright lies (looking at you Sean Murray), Bethesda wanted to be as transparent as possible; and let Fallout 76 be shown by neutral (in theory) content creators. Or maybe they just thought the best way to showcase an online survival game was by having famous Youtubers, the masters of surviving and thriving online, put it on full display. Maybe they just got complacent after the success of Fallout 4. Whatever the reason, Fallout 76’s marketing campaign likely won’t be taught in University marketing courses. If anything, it may serve as a lesson for how NOT to market a game. Regardless, the best remedy for a poor marketing campaign is a great product; and Bethesda has a history of delivering them. Should they succeed with that, all of their marketing shenanigans will likely be forgotten about once players leave Vault 76.

Please stand by as I will be posting my full thoughts on actually playing Fallout 76 on Oct. 23rd when the B.E.T.A drops on Xbox One!

Follow me on twitter @4allout, and also follow my Fallout 76 dedicated account @Fallout76_HQ, and SB @SB_GameMedia

Last edited:

Comments

Chatroom

Fallout 76: First Impressions
Fallout 76: Hands-On First Impressions
By @Monte

(Disclaimer: I was invited to play the game on an unfinished (not final) build for a few hours during the recent Xbox Stress Test. NDA prevented me from sharing my impressions until now with the release of the B.E.T.A)

After watching a couple hours or so combined of footage from multiple youtubers/outlets, my hype for Fallout 76 had all but died. The game looked like a janky mess (even by Bethesda standards), and it just seemed like a pointless, disjointed murderfest with painfully mediocre online mechanics and a beyond weird looking real time VATS mechanic. After playing I can confirm that VATS is still weird, but overall the footage shown by those youtubers did not do Fallout 76 and its very atmospheric world justice.

My adventure started off, of course, in Vault 76 itself. After creating my character with the same system used in Fallout 4...
an Expose on Bethesda’s Marketing
by: @Monte

(After getting to play the Fallout 76 Stress Test, I was inspired to write some thoughts on the marketing for this title. Those with superb memories may recall an article of mine with this same title about Fallout 4 in the run up to its 2015 release, although that was a very different situation (you can read an archived version of it right here). Overall I enjoyed my short time with the game, but Bethesda’s NDA is preventing me from elaborating further on my experience. My full impressions of the game itself will be forthcoming once the NDA lifts.)

Since even before its reveal, I’ve struggled to figure out what exactly Fallout 76 is. Is it a Rust inspired cash grab? Is it a traditional Bethesda Game...
Why I'm worried about Fallout 76.
Why I’m Worried About Fallout 76
Written by: @Karax9699
Edited by @Monte

Almost four months after its announcement, I'm still worried about Fallout 76. The game was announced on May 30th to excitement and suprise that we were getting another Fallout game so soon after Fallout 4. The trailer was interesting, and left questions for us to answer which Bethesda promised we'd get at E3. This was a mistake in my opinion. Between May 30th and June 10th, the date we'd get more information, peoples ideas and expectations weren't officially kept in check. Some people, including myself,expected a traditional Bethesda RPG from the Fallout series and Bethesda failed to inform us of the fact it wouldn't be; leaving that to leakers such as Kotaku’s Jason Schreier. This...
Virtual Realms: Realizing Immersive Narrative in Games
VIRTUAL REALMS: REALIZING IMMERSIVE NARRATIVE IN GAMES
By @Radvantage

Video games are the pinnacle of interactive entertainment. As we approach the final years of the eighth generation of consoles, it is astonishing to see how games have evolved. The technical fidelity that we experience today allows for a relatively robust depiction of the developer’s imagination. It was only about two decades ago when programming wizards first constructed algorithms that were capable of simulating rudimentary three-dimensional graphics. Pioneers of this technology, such as id Software and its lead programmer, John Carmack, utilized a method known as ray casting to display its corridors in 1992’s Wolfenstein 3D. Designers generated levels by placing objects in a grid, with wall...
Red Dead Redemption II Gameplay First Impressions
Red Dead Redemption II Gameplay First Impressions
By @Monte

Almost two years after it’s announcement, Rockstar Games finally blessed us with some actual Red Dead Redemption II gameplay footage. Suffice to say, it was worth the wait (and delays). With RDR2, Rockstar says they set out to not just make another massive, beautiful looking world, but a living world with much more depth and player reactivity than any they have created previously.

22EB7418-6518-45BC-9F81-5DEC79D03CEF.png

The biggest example of this is the character interaction system. Players controlling protagonist Arthur Morgan can seemingly go up to any NPC in the world and interact with them at the press of a button, either by greeting them with small talk, antagonizing them with an aggressive comment, or of course, pointing a gun at them. We are shown a few examples of this in the trailer, and the button...