The Outer Worlds Discussion Thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Wolfensanity

Staff member
The Outer Worlds
Obsidian Entertainment
Private Division

Release Date TBA 2019
maxresdefault.jpg
ss_4fe162d9752bc89c2de14ba549ffb6a6260b09aa.1920x1080.jpg
ss_1467a74c1101f1a2a503a87568ace9a8b1f5a613.1920x1080.jpg Reveal trailer:

15 mins of gameplay

Last edited by a moderator:

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
The Outer Worlds
Obsidian Entertainment
Private Division

Release Date TBA
View attachment 188
View attachment 189
View attachment 190
At least write a little description of what the game is and why it's exciting. We can't all be epic gamers. :(

I'm still kinda sad the game isn't open world. Hub worlds could be cool. I didn't expect to explore space or anything, but if it's just a bunch of tiny slices with the travel and exploration in between replaced by a loading screen like in Dishonored, I'll be quite dissapointed.

Radvantage

Administrator
Staff member
At least write a little description of what the game is and why it's exciting. We can't all be epic gamers. :(

I'm still kinda sad the game isn't open world. Hub worlds could be cool. I didn't expect to explore space or anything, but if it's just a bunch of tiny slices with the travel and exploration in between replaced by a loading screen like in Dishonored, I'll be quite dissapointed.
Player-driven storyline with multiple branching paths that you discover or manipulate depending on your RP, hub environments that are still open (multiple fast travel points within each, can revisit separate colonies through your ship), a flaw system that tracks events that happen to the player to further cement who your character is through stats and debuffs, retrofuturistic setting with a mix of dark humor and far future corporate imagery, terraformed worlds gone wrong (or unevolved ex. mantis dinosaurs), unique and colorful biomes, skills have an effect on your playstyle and abilities, can kill every mortal NPC and find ways to progress, a new franchise created by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky inspired by their work in Fallout, design decisions based off of Tim Cain's likes/dislikes of recent Fallout games, 3D open-ended exploration per area, faction reputation, quirky perks, weird pulp sci-fi equipment, defined futuristic-western fusion artistic style, realtime (and bullet time) combat, moral dilemmas, multiple companions with certain agendas and quests, a design that could be summed up as a combination of KOTOR II and New Vegas.

That's basically most of what I'm excited for thus far with what has been promised or teased. Open worlds can be great, but their scope is a bit different and could work if the hypothetical invisible walls make sense. A lot of the gameplay video shows some relatively open spaces (wilderness areas with some outposts sprinkled about, hills, roads, etc), and it's already been confirmed that the ship will keep most of these areas open for the majority of the time, it's just that these colonies aren't all one big piece. The original Fallouts, KOTOR, and Deus Ex don't suffer from this sub-open world design so I have my hopes up. There are probably loading screens between these areas, but I really don't know how you'd make a hub design totally seamless unless you have some sort of interactive, pseudo load screen. Maybe it'll be a problem, maybe it won't, just the presence of them is neither bad or good as long as they're not too intrusive or too long. I'm more interested in the execution of a deep RPG with meaningful choices in a new setting to be honest. As long as the hubs don't feel too compact or claustrophobic, it should be fine, I don't think they're getting treated like sequential Dishonored levels, especially with the talk about landing pad keys that you can obtain in various ways through gameplay (as well as discoverable fast travel points per area). Although I'm still curious what the trade-offs are, it would be fantastic if they can maintain the same sense of discovery, reactivity, and exploration in these zones.

Big enough hub worlds are just as good as fully open world tbh.

Semi open worlds are great.

Chatroom