What about a pre-war Fallout game?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
The Fallout games have some deep, compelling lore concerning the pre-war universe, but we haven't actually had pre-war content outside of the beginning of Fallout 4 and maybe the Operation Anchorage expansion to Fallout 3. What do you think about a potential pre-war Fallout game?

(To be clear, I'm referring to the time before the nuclear apocalypse when I say pre-war, so this wouldn't necessarily be before China invaded Alaska.)

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
Sawyer has said he wanted to do a resource wars FPS which I think would be cool, but I don’t think bethesda could pull it off

CJTreader

Known Poster
Premium Member
Sawyer has said he wanted to do a resource wars FPS which I think would be cool, but I don’t think bethesda could pull it off
I think it'd be pretty cool, but it depends game it further prevents. For instance, I would much prefer Sawyer and Obsidian continue developing deep RPGs like Pillars and NV energy rather than a shooter. It'd be pretty dope if a studio like Machine Games did that. When it comes to the broader concept, I agree BGS definitely isn't the studio to do it.

PipBoyofSteel155

Todd Howardinator
If there would be such a thing, I wouldn't want Bethesda doing it. One of the biggest issues I have about their Fallout games is their apparent misunderstanding about what the pre-war world even was.

Bethesda seems to mistranslate the statement, "Fallout's world is retro-futuristic" into "Fallout is the 50's but with robot butlers."

Life in 2077 America was supposed to already look war-torn to a certain degree. Daily riots, viral outbreaks (Limit-115), gas-powered vehicles clogging the highways due to shortage of petroleum (No, nuclear-powered cars could not have completely replaced gas-powered ones by the time they were created), communist suspicion, info leaks of bio-weapons (The FEV), all amplified by an oppressive military oligarchy born out of a collapsing U.S.

I can only speak for myself, but none of that was communicated to me through Fallout 4's intro sequence, which is the closest thing we've gotten to what you're talking about.

In my opinion, and this may seem like heresy for some people, but I would have liked to see the pre-war world shrouded with more mystery, like it was before Fallout 4. It was an interesting facet of the world, knowing that every ruin you came across was just one puzzle piece of a cascade of events that led to the downfall of civilization. Walking through pre-war in a canon Fallout game cheapens that feeling. I would have liked for the game to start right as you escaped the cryo-pod, leaving the pre-war world behind to leave you clueless about how terrible the world had to have been to lead to this, and then utilize that to make the Player Character even more interesting to play as.

That's why I personally wouldn't want a pre-war Fallout game, because that would just ruin even more of the mystery for me.

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
If there would be such a thing, I wouldn't want Bethesda doing it. One of the biggest issues I have about their Fallout games is their apparent misunderstanding about what the pre-war world even was.

Bethesda seems to mistranslate the statement, "Fallout's world is retro-futuristic" into "Fallout is the 50's but with robot butlers."

Life in 2077 America was supposed to already look war-torn to a certain degree. Daily riots, viral outbreaks (Limit-115), gas-powered vehicles clogging the highways due to shortage of petroleum (No, nuclear-powered cars could not have completely replaced gas-powered ones by the time they were created), communist suspicion, info leaks of bio-weapons (The FEV), all amplified by an oppressive military oligarchy born out of a collapsing U.S.

I can only speak for myself, but none of that was communicated to me through Fallout 4's intro sequence, which is the closest thing we've gotten to what you're talking about.

In my opinion, and this may seem like heresy for some people, but I would have liked to see the pre-war world shrouded with more mystery, like it was before Fallout 4. It was an interesting facet of the world, knowing that every ruin you came across was just one puzzle piece of a cascade of events that led to the downfall of civilization. Walking through pre-war in a canon Fallout game cheapens that feeling. I would have liked for the game to start right as you escaped the cryo-pod, leaving the pre-war world behind to leave you clueless about how terrible the world had to have been to lead to this, and then utilize that to make the Player Character even more interesting to play as.

That's why I personally wouldn't want a pre-war Fallout game, because that would just ruin even more of the mystery for me.
10/10 post :ehh:

Arch

Known Poster

I agree with this.

Chatroom