GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Top 5's are always tough for me to decide since my lists constantly change or gets updated as new and fantastic games release. Game's such as Bioshock Infinite or Prey which leave a profound impact on people, or games such as Fallout New Vegas which set the standards for all RPG's in my opinion. What are your personal Top 5 Games Of All Time Lists?

PipBoyofSteel155

Todd Howardinator
Alright, so I guess this will be separate from my 5 "favorite" games, these are the games I think are the most important, and have impacted my life the most.

1. Dungeons and Dragons - Do I really need to explain this?
2. Planescape Torment - While more of a graphic novel than a "game", it still presents one of the most interesting and thought provoking stories about our own mortality, and gives players a haunting realization that they may not be as good of a person as they always assumed they were...
3. Fable 2 - While disguised as a by-the-numbers adventure game, I believe Fable 2 is a thought-provoking player-driven adventure that can teach you about the true value of love and family.
4. Fallout 1 - A carefully constructed and tightly cohesive story that is unfolded by the player himself, about man's struggle of pushing past conflict and destruction based on ideology and differences - Set in a post-nuclear world that was ultimately destroyed by it.
5. Morrowind - A sandbox simulation full of empires, cities, guilds, and gods - That asks you to do whatever the fuck you want with it.
And holy hell, did I do whatever the fuck I wanted with it.

It's no coincidence that all of the games in this list are RPGs. In my opinion, I think Role Playing Games are the best games, because their sole purpose is to allow the player to tell their own story, in their own way, within the confines of a setting that is built around being interactive and open to player agency.

That's a great list. You just reminded me of Fable 2 I almost forgot about it. I loved that game. Played through it I don't know how many times, can't say the same for the 3rd one honestly. 2 set the bar extremely high.

PipBoyofSteel155

Todd Howardinator
That's a great list. You just reminded me of Fable 2 I almost forgot about it. I loved that game. Played through it I don't know how many times, can't say the same for the 3rd one honestly. 2 set the bar extremely high.
Fable 2 was soooooo good. I played it for days on end when I was younger.

So much so that I was able to pretty much buy... the entire world, and I received so much income that I didn't know what to do with the game anymore.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
Fable 2 was soooooo good. I played it for days on end when I was younger.

So much so that I was able to pretty much buy... the entire world, and I received so much income that I didn't know what to do with the game anymore.
Fable 2 was amazing. I really hope Microsoft revives the franchise

Monte

Founder/Forum Cowboy
Staff member
Site Founder
1. New Vegas: really before I played this in 2010 I had no idea what games could really be like. I remember reading a gameinformer preview of it and the level of freedom described in it seemed impossible, so I had to find out for myself. I had never been so immersed in a world before, and been given actual choices to make that would affect the world, my character, and how I was viewed. This set me up for an addiction with Bethesda-esque RPG's (yeah I actually played this before fo3, I was like 10 when 3 came out).
2. FO3: As much as I'll shit on aspects of the game now, when I first played it around 2010 I found myself even more immersed in the world than I was with NV. The setting was just so atmospheric (especially point lookout), and I loved exploring burned out DC and seeing all the landmarks. This was before I really looked at games through a critical lens, so I didn't really notice how shitty the writing was and how dumb other aspects of the world are in retrospect.
3. RDR: Just such an incredibly designed game top to bottom. I really can't think of one aspect of the game that is lacking. If this thread was based on objectivity, this would likely be my #1 as it's the only game I could seriously give a 10/10. Great story, memorable characters, beautiful world, great side quests, fun combat, taught me how to play poker, ending that made me legit cry, I could go on. Sad tho bc I don't see how R* can top it.
4. Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood: just gonna group these 2 together since they are connected and very similar. Great story arc with ezio, easily the best ubisoft protagonist and they've repeatedly tried and failed to make another like him. Back when AC focused on its bread and butter, cool alternate history, meticulously crafted settings, climbing tall buildings, and assassinating ppl. At one time I would've said this was my favorite series.... I will never forgive ubisoft for the way they ran it into the ground.
5. The witcher 3: I'm not gonna jerk it off more than it already has been, so I'll just say it's a near perfect game with probably the best writing I've seen in a game. At least the writing that made me question my choices the most and approached all sorts of different subjects in such a mature manner. Also dlc is amazing.

Honorable mentions:
*skyrim (actually have most hours in this)
*GTA V (near perfect game too that I'm still playing but just didn't have that huge effect on me)
*The Last of us
*Bioshock Infinite
*Prey
*SpongeBob battle for bikini bottom
*nba 2k11
*Cod mw, mw2, and black ops
*Telltale TWD
*Batman Arkham asylum
*Star wars battlefront 2 (OG ofc)
*Mafia 2

1. Fallout: New Vegas - New Vegas will always top any of my favorite lists
  2. Uncharted 3 - Fun as fuck and brought out an adventurous side in me
  3. Fable 3 - Unpopular opinion but I liked it far more than 2
  4. Red Dead Redemption - 10/10 absolutely perfect masterpiece
  5. Minecraft - I haven't played it in years, but what kind of a Top 5 list would this be if it didn't include the OG game of my childhood?

Honorable Mentions:
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • The entire Modern Warfare series
  • The Last of Us
  • Mafia 2

Last edited:
No particular order but

Halo 3- This game is almost ten years old and I still enjoy playing it today. It has aged so well and is just a great game all around. Soundtrack still gives me chills.

Medeival 2: Total War- This is the gold standard for total war games imo. There is just so much content and with mods the game is still fun to go back to. The community for this game is still very active and fun.

Fallout: NV - This was the first Fallout game I played and the only one I have played through multiple times. Factions are great and the choices you make are also amazing.

Bioshock- I did not play Bioshock until last year but no game has ever made me think so much after I finished it. I found myself searching and wanting to learn more about the inspiration behind it.

Red Dead Redemption- I love GTA, but RDR is my personal favorite Rockstar game. I played the crap out of it and 100% back in the day. Story is amazing as well as the gunplay. The multiplayer was surprisingly fun also.

No particular order

Fallout New Vegas - Great writing, great characters, lots of choice and consequences, great quests, lots of great weapons (even though the shooting sucks), very replayable. My first fallout and my favorite one. Loved this game's DLC's as well.

Skyrim - Even though the writing and story sucks, it was the open world and awesome quests that made me love it. Open world is massive with lots to do and explore. Lots of character builds to mess around with. I put 180 hours into my Skyrim Special Edition playthrough and platinum'd it. It was awesome.

Bioshock 1 - One of my favorite shooters and story games. Probably my second favorite narrative and writing in any video game. The story and writing will hold up for many generations. The gameplay and shooting still hold up pretty well today and it provides a good enough challenge. Also the most atmospheric game i've ever played. Even though the platinum was grindy, i still went for it because of how much i loved this game.

Bioshock Infinite - Probably my favorite narrative game of all time. Great combat and very memorable characters like in Bioshock 1. Also probably has my favorite companion in a video game and to be honest, she's basically a second protagonist. When i beat this game, it was hard to go asleep for a while. It's definitely an experience i will never forget. Also got the platinum because i loved it./

Persona 5 - To start off, I am not a fan of anime and hate a lot of weebs and weaboos on the internet. Anime has always been weird to me but mostly the people who watch it and try to role play as anime characters. Persona 5 has not changed how i view anime or weebs. When Matty and @CryoVaultSoul told me to cop, I was very skeptical that i would like it or get into it. I thought it would be one of those games I slowly play and progress bit by bit by that was the complete opposite of what happened. Longest story game i have ever played. The story took me 105 hours to complete and i enjoyed every second of it. I was very surprised that the story wasn't weird or anime-ish. It was serious, believable, and has serious themes. The game has a very diverse cast with different backgrounds but similar goals to you. The characters you meet were great and the writing and story was amazing. Lots of dialogue which also felt natural. The gameplay was also fantastic. I've never been a fan of turn based but persona 5 has now gotten me into turn based games. There's a lot of style in it and it's a lot of fun. Theres a ton of personas and you can create a variety of persona builds from it. The Palaces are probably my favorite part of the game. There's 8 of them and they all have a different theme, tone, and aesthetic to it while having an epic boss fight at the end. Music is also very lit too. It didn't feel weird. As someone who despises anime and weebs/weeabos, I would highly recommend this game to other people who aren't fans of anime. Definitely my game of the year for 2017. Also got the platinum for it because i loved this game so much.

Honorable Mentions:
The Last of Us - Great story and loved Joel and Ellie. Other characters are kinds forgettable and i wasn't a fan of that selfish ending. Also, very fun multiplayer.

Witcher 3 - Loved this game's story, writing, and characters. Combat is fun but can get a bit repetitive. Good open world but I prefer BGS open worlds a bit more. Put around 100~ hours into it.

NieR: Automata - Amazing story, writing, and characters. This is one of the most unique games i've played in a while. The design here is superb. My one little complaint is that the combat can get a bit repetitive especially during ship sequences.

Fallout 3 - Very atmospheric and amazing open world. Awesome quests and exploration. Not a fan of the writing or main story.

Fallout 4 - Amazing open world. Loved the amount of customization in the weapons and power armor. I also LOVED the settlement mode. I put a lot of hours into it. Story was good but not great. Writing could use more work. Quests were overall mediocre.

Eddie

The Writer
Alright, so I guess this will be separate from my 5 "favorite" games, these are the games I think are the most important, and have impacted my life the most.

1. Dungeons and Dragons - Do I really need to explain this?
2. Planescape Torment - While more of a graphic novel than a "game", it still presents one of the most interesting and thought provoking stories about our own mortality, and gives players a haunting realization that they may not be as good of a person as they always assumed they were...
3. Fable 2 - While disguised as a by-the-numbers adventure game, I believe Fable 2 is a thought-provoking player-driven adventure that can teach you about the true value of love and family.
4. Fallout 1 - A carefully constructed and tightly cohesive story that is unfolded by the player himself, about man's struggle of pushing past conflict and destruction based on ideology and differences - Set in a post-nuclear world that was ultimately destroyed by it.
5. Morrowind - A sandbox simulation full of empires, cities, guilds, and gods - That asks you to do whatever the fuck you want with it.
And holy hell, did I do whatever the fuck I wanted with it.

It's no coincidence that all of the games in this list are RPGs. In my opinion, I think Role Playing Games are the best games, because their sole purpose is to allow the player to tell their own story, in their own way, within the confines of a setting that is built around being interactive and open to player agency.

Is Bioshock an RPG?

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
No particular order

Fallout New Vegas - Great writing, great characters, lots of choice and consequences, great quests, lots of great weapons (even though the shooting sucks), very replayable. My first fallout and my favorite one. Loved this game's DLC's as well.

Skyrim - Even though the writing and story sucks, it was the open world and awesome quests that made me love it. Open world is massive with lots to do and explore. Lots of character builds to mess around with. I put 180 hours into my Skyrim Special Edition playthrough and platinum'd it. It was awesome.

Bioshock 1 - One of my favorite shooters and story games. Probably my second favorite narrative and writing in any video game. The story and writing will hold up for many generations. The gameplay and shooting still hold up pretty well today and it provides a good enough challenge. Also the most atmospheric game i've ever played. Even though the platinum was grindy, i still went for it because of how much i loved this game.

Bioshock Infinite - Probably my favorite narrative game of all time. Great combat and very memorable characters like in Bioshock 1. Also probably has my favorite companion in a video game and to be honest, she's basically a second protagonist. When i beat this game, it was hard to go asleep for a while. It's definitely an experience i will never forget. Also got the platinum because i loved it./

Persona 5 - To start off, I am not a fan of anime and hate a lot of weebs and weaboos on the internet. Anime has always been weird to me but mostly the people who watch it and try to role play as anime characters. Persona 5 has not changed how i view anime or weebs. When Matty and @CryoVaultSoul told me to cop, I was very skeptical that i would like it or get into it. I thought it would be one of those games I slowly play and progress bit by bit by that was the complete opposite of what happened. Longest story game i have ever played. The story took me 105 hours to complete and i enjoyed every second of it. I was very surprised that the story wasn't weird or anime-ish. It was serious, believable, and has serious themes. The game has a very diverse cast with different backgrounds but similar goals to you. The characters you meet were great and the writing and story was amazing. Lots of dialogue which also felt natural. The gameplay was also fantastic. I've never been a fan of turn based but persona 5 has now gotten me into turn based games. There's a lot of style in it and it's a lot of fun. Theres a ton of personas and you can create a variety of persona builds from it. The Palaces are probably my favorite part of the game. There's 8 of them and they all have a different theme, tone, and aesthetic to it while having an epic boss fight at the end. Music is also very lit too. It didn't feel weird. As someone who despises anime and weebs/weeabos, I would highly recommend this game to other people who aren't fans of anime. Definitely my game of the year for 2017. Also got the platinum for it because i loved this game so much.

Honorable Mentions:
The Last of Us - Great story and loved Joel and Ellie. Other characters are kinds forgettable and i wasn't a fan of that selfish ending. Also, very fun multiplayer.

Witcher 3 - Loved this game's story, writing, and characters. Combat is fun but can get a bit repetitive. Good open world but I prefer BGS open worlds a bit more. Put around 100~ hours into it.

NieR: Automata - Amazing story, writing, and characters. This is one of the most unique games i've played in a while. The design here is superb. My one little complaint is that the combat can get a bit repetitive especially during ship sequences.

Fallout 3 - Very atmospheric and amazing open world. Awesome quests and exploration. Not a fan of the writing or main story.

Fallout 4 - Amazing open world. Loved the amount of customization in the weapons and power armor. I also LOVED the settlement mode. I put a lot of hours into it. Story was good but not great. Writing could use more work. Quests were overall mediocre.
WEEB! Just get out of here and watch anime with your body pillow

Chatroom