What is the difference between adventure, action, and action-adventure games to you?

Discussion in 'Misc. Gaming' started by CJTreader2001, Dec 30, 2017.

1. As the year comes to a close, I've been watching and reading quite a few streams, YouTube videos, and articles concerning the best games of the year, and one thing I've noticed that perplexed me was the odd separation between action games and action-adventure games. In my opinion, an adventure game seems to be a narrative-focused game with minimal gameplay outside of puzzles, an action game is just that, an action-packed, gameplay-focused game with a minimalist story, and an action-adventure game is a mix of both, a game with a gameplay focus mixed with a strong story presence. Under this definition, Night in the Woods and Thimbleweed Park would be adventure games, Doom and Destiny would be action games, and Wolfenstein II in addition to Uncharted would be action-adventure games. I think this definition works well enough, but the community seems to see it as this strange dichotomy where all third-person games are action-adventures and all first-person games are action games. What is the difference between adventure, action, and action-adventure games to you?

2. action-adventure games? Those two go against eachother by definition, no? Why not call them story-heavy action games?

CJTreader2001 likes this.
  3. words anf how theyre'e oerdereddf

guul66 likes this.