What Would You Change About Your Government?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member
Eh, I disagree with conscription it is needed in times of great peril. Such as when your military is all but destroyed and there are no one else to fill their spots.
I think at one time the Draft really was necessary " And if we are going to maintain it Women should have to register for it" but over all technology has started to change how we fight. I do not think we need a meat grinder any longer and should focus our military on small speacialized teams and more technologically advanced meathods of battle.

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member
I agreed with most of the first few (term limits for sure) but as I started scrolling down you start getting into the more radical left wing ideas and I noped tf out. No state governments is probably the worst idea tbh. There are lots of issues that only apply to certain states, and it would be much harder for ppl in these states to have a voice about these issues. And forcing multiple languages to be taught is also a bad idea on multiple levels. How about we make sure our people are proficient at English first which many are not instead of making them learn Arabic (in 3rd grade lmao a lot of kids can barely form coherent sentences in English at the age) which they most likely will never need to use.
So I can aggree with your thoughts on state rights but I did want to point out a few things to you. While i do not aggree with Dingo on forcing multiple languages he actually has the age range spot on. When a child is first learning or in the early stages of learning basic language skills there mind is like a spoonge. There have been studies over the years that show a childs brain is basically Primed to learn any and all languages at that time. Now im not saying they are learning the fine details of reading and writing, but in the 3-10 age range they pick up Spoken Language very very rapidly. I have some extended family from the middle east, I met a 5 year old buy that had never spoken english that moved to the US with his parents and within 2 months was conversing in english as fluently as Arabic. His parents could not cme close to keeping up with him. The Youunger you start on a language the better.
https://www.forbes.com/2005/10/19/chomsky-noam-language-learning-comm05-cx_de_1024chomsky.html

The perfect way to change our government is to make it smaller. The state should exist soley to provide a limited number of services. These services should be to protect the people from violations of liberty - murder, robbery, invasion by a foreign power, etc.

It is morally wrong for the government to interfere in trade and transactions between the people by taxing people for services that don't directly relate to the people themselves. Therefore, only the most necessary taxations should be justified.

I also believe that a laissez-faire economy works best for the free market, which basically means that the government should fuck off.

I could go into detail like Dingo and list specific criteria for my ideal government, but I'll keep it simple. Government should = minimized government, minimized spending, minimized intervention.

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member
The perfect way to change our government is to make it smaller. The state should exist soley to provide a limited number of services. These services should be to protect the people from violations of liberty - murder, robbery, invasion by a foreign power, etc.

It is morally wrong for the government to interfere in trade and transactions between the people by taxing people for services that don't directly relate to the people themselves. Therefore, only the most necessary taxations should be justified.

I also believe that a laissez-faire economy works best for the free market, which basically means that the government should fuck off.

I could go into detail like Dingo and list specific criteria for my ideal government, but I'll keep it simple. Government should = minimized government, minimized spending, minimized intervention.
Generally speaking I agree. Smaller government is better. Unfortunatly there are a few places where it is necessary, mostly because people are Shits and we do need someone to occasionally step in and tell them to Stop being Shits like with the massive water and air polution of the 60's-80's.

So I can aggree with your thoughts on state rights but I did want to point out a few things to you. While i do not aggree with Dingo on forcing multiple languages he actually has the age range spot on. When a child is first learning or in the early stages of learning basic language skills there mind is like a spoonge. There have been studies over the years that show a childs brain is basically Primed to learn any and all languages at that time. Now im not saying they are learning the fine details of reading and writing, but in the 3-10 age range they pick up Spoken Language very very rapidly. I have some extended family from the middle east, I met a 5 year old buy that had never spoken english that moved to the US with his parents and within 2 months was conversing in english as fluently as Arabic. His parents could not cme close to keeping up with him. The Youunger you start on a language the better.
https://www.forbes.com/2005/10/19/chomsky-noam-language-learning-comm05-cx_de_1024chomsky.html
Actually a child's brain is primed to learn ANYTHING. I can't remember the specified science behind it, but starting at about a year to two years old, a child's brain has an easier time remembering the long-term and short-term effects of something. For example, that's why schools try to teach children cursive at a younger age. It's easier for them to pick up on and remember without even thinking about it. But for the average adult, they would have an extremely difficult time learning and memorizing cursive, as their brains are no longer primed for something so complicated.

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member
Actually a child's brain is primed to learn ANYTHING. I can't remember the specified science behind it, but starting at about a year to two years old, a child's brain has an easier time remembering the long-term and short-term effects of something. For example, that's why schools try to teach children cursive at a younger age. It's easier for them to pick up on and remember without even thinking about it. But for the average adult, they would have an extremely difficult time learning and memorizing cursive, as their brains are no longer primed for something so complicated.
I know, I was focusing on the Language side of it in general though.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
No one is ever 100 percent happy with their governments; so a question to you. What would you change? It can be a small thing, removing an MP or Senator, changing certain laws, to removing an entire political party. So go ahead!
Abolish Social Security (but still repay those who've payed into the system)

Move to a Swiss-style healthcare system (Americans will never accept a purely free market)

Abolish Medicaid and Medicare for all but those who need it most (the extremely disabled without a caregiver and children without parents or guardians) and replace it with health insurance subsidies

Limit terms to 4 (8 years) for representatives and 2 (12 years) for Senators and move all judges to ten year terms with a term limit of 2

Reduce the military budget by 20% by eliminating waste and closing unnecessary foreign bases

Limit executive branch power requiring that all laws carry specific instructions for implementation, removing executive power to implement any regulation not clearly stated in law, and limiting the power of executive orders

Legalize all drugs (yes, all) for people 18 and older and use the tax revenue to subsidize rehab centers

Expand Congressional districts and have 4 representatives in each district to increase the viability of third-parties

Legalize and regulate prostitution

Change senate rules to eliminate the filibuster and further Reduce the potential for gridlock in too many ways to mention

Require Congressional oversight of CIA operations

Eliminate the NSA and stop collecting the data of citizens

Eliminate all tax deductions or incentives except for non-profit institutions and a tax credit for being the parent/guardian of a child

Reduce the corporate tax rate

Rework University systems to focus more on skills necessary for a job and further incentivize people to get degrees in medicine and engineering

Have the minimum wage rise with inflation

Implement a balanced budget amendment

Incentivize more efficient forms of clean energy such as nuclear power rather than solar or wind

Increase NASA's budget

Pay off the national debt

AND move to a merit-based immigration system

Fallout God

Fallout God of Assassin's Effect
I agreed with most of the first few (term limits for sure) but as I started scrolling down you start getting into the more radical left wing ideas and I noped tf out. No state governments is probably the worst idea tbh. There are lots of issues that only apply to certain states, and it would be much harder for ppl in these states to have a voice about these issues. And forcing multiple languages to be taught is also a bad idea on multiple levels. How about we make sure our people are proficient at English first which many are not instead of making them learn Arabic (in 3rd grade lmao a lot of kids can barely form coherent sentences in English at the age) which they most likely will never need to use.
Yeah, that Trump guy never learned real English...
Children learning multiple languages early on is very beneficial, the main reason people have trouble learning English as is in America is because the education system is shite XD And of course there's the prioritisation of athletics over education in some states. Learning early on is very good for people, just like learning anything early on is more effective.
Eh, difference of opinions.
Extradite fallout God for a start
And who are you? XD
With the drugs with age 18 I'm fine with that, but I like how in European nationals they have twelve year olds drinking wine.

In regards with term limits I meant to say for Congress, but I agree.

I don't think we need to get rid of state government positions, because there are issues that are more specific to some states, and some issues may not be national wide. Many people i talk to who are conservative would be completely against taking state rights, I understand state rights and I don't want an authoritarian government, but at the same time both state and federal can be authoritarian, I want freedom in the aspects I mentioned applied to each state.

With a flat tax, we would all pay the same percentage wise but the more you make the more you will pay. I believe in this in principle because to tax someone more or less based off their income is classicist. This is just my opinion, not saying you're wrong.

In principle I can't agree with the required service. I just don't think we should be forced to be in the military. It's not something I think is necessary because many many people are join the military and will continue to join it.

Yeah schooling should definitely be changed, I'm fine with teaching languages like that. What also be fine is teaching self defense. Also students should be taught how to control their emotions, meditate, communicate(verbally and textually)well, and howto debate and argue in a civil and professional manner. Also trades should be taught. How to do finances, save, use banks, file taxes, invest and such

I'd like nuclear armaments to be disarmed, but if America does this this will only put us in danger with other countries. I completely understand it and would want every country to do it.

I don't know if it should be 80percent less for the military, what I'd like is for research and investigations to happen to find out how much is needed for the military for it to remain highly effective/efficient, and account for higher cost as more people join(also accounting for higher standards) I can't say how much it would be

With socialized healthcare and such, I'm fine with if it if we can pay it without going bankrupt, burrowing from different countries, and over taxing citizens. Also I think if you are an idiot and always get drunk, does drugs, and is reckless and always get hurt they should lose their coverage for a time. To pay for those people's dumbass decisions is messed up to me. They should probably lose it for a time, or investigation should go into how they got hurt to need what they need. If they lose it for a time they should be able to get it back.

So I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying where I disagree principally.
Education is definitely the most important, and yours and Ding's suggestions for it are needed. Learning multiple languages is good for your brain much like learning to play an instrument I believe; plus breaks down language barriers, and makes removes a reason for discrimination. Being taught social and financial things are definitely a must to prepare people, as is self defence as it makes crimes against them harder and of course they can protect themselves.

A lot of military funding should go to all these and (just like a 100 billion XD) especially NASA and space exploration/tech development.

Last edited:

Fallout God

Abolish Social Security (but still repay those who've payed into the system)

Move to a Swiss-style healthcare system (Americans will never accept a purely free market)

Abolish Medicaid and Medicare for all but those who need it most (the extremely disabled without a caregiver and children without parents or guardians) and replace it with health insurance subsidies

Limit terms to 4 (8 years) for representatives and 2 (12 years) for Senators and move all judges to ten year terms with a term limit of 2

Reduce the military budget by 20% by eliminating waste and closing unnecessary foreign bases

Limit executive branch power requiring that all laws carry specific instructions for implementation, removing executive power to implement any regulation not clearly stated in law, and limiting the power of executive orders

Legalize all drugs (yes, all) for people 18 and older and use the tax revenue to subsidize rehab centers

Expand Congressional districts and have 4 representatives in each district to increase the viability of third-parties

Legalize and regulate prostitution

Change senate rules to eliminate the filibuster and further Reduce the potential for gridlock in too many ways to mention

Require Congressional oversight of CIA operations

Eliminate the NSA and stop collecting the data of citizens

Eliminate all tax deductions or incentives except for non-profit institutions and a tax credit for being the parent/guardian of a child

Reduce the corporate tax rate

Rework University systems to focus more on skills necessary for a job and further incentivize people to get degrees in medicine and engineering

Have the minimum wage rise with inflation

Implement a balanced budget amendment

Incentivize more efficient forms of clean energy such as nuclear power rather than solar or wind

Increase NASA's budget

Pay off the national debt

AND move to a merit-based immigration system
Hmmm, can't argue with much of that. I can understand giving people the freedom to harm themselves by using drugs, but I don't agree with it.

Prostitution should definitely be legalised and properly regulated, to protect the workers better and so fourth.

Really, can't argue with your points, except reducing the military budget by around 40-50 percent at the least.

Obama

Known Poster
Yeah, that Trump guy never learned real English...
Children learning multiple languages early on is very beneficial, the main reason people have trouble learning English as is in America is because the education system is shite XD And of course there's the prioritisation of athletics over education in some states.
Eh, difference of opinions.

And who are you? XD

Education is definitely the most important, and yours and Ding's suggestions for it are needed. Learning multiple languages is good for your brain much like learning to play an instrument I believe; plus breaks down language barriers, and makes removes a reason for discrimination. Being taught social and financial things are definitely a must to prepare people, as is self defence as it makes crimes against them harder and of course they can protect themselves.

A lot of military funding should go to all these and (just like a 100 billion XD) especially NASA and space exploration/tech development.
Sweetroll

Dingo

Magic Sky Dog
With the drugs with age 18 I'm fine with that, but I like how in European nationals they have twelve year olds drinking wine.
The concern I have hear are the numerous studies that show the long-term effects of alcohol on an underage brain--they're not good.

I don't think we need to get rid of state government positions, because there are issues that are more specific to some states, and some issues may not be national wide. Many people i talk to who are conservative would be completely against taking state rights, I understand state rights and I don't want an authoritarian government, but at the same time both state and federal can be authoritarian, I want freedom in the aspects I mentioned applied to each state.
State rights: I am a firm beliver in state rights for a couple of reasons. As it stands, if I do not like the rules and regulations of a state "example: Gun Laws" I can move to a state that meets my personal beliefe structure. The federal government was meant to be the intermediary for interstate and international trade and to manage the overall defense of our nation. It was not meant to Govern the states. Now I know there are lots of things that have benefited from Government oversite, but over all this has lead us to a giant cumbersome black hole of money suckery and I think it needs to be limited in its power to govern. Let local and state governments make decisions based on what the people in those areas belive and want. If you want to see a REAL rift in this country, just tell everyone that dosent live in a city that they are now going to be forced to follow the rules provided to them by people From cities.
I agreed with most of the first few (term limits for sure) but as I started scrolling down you start getting into the more radical left wing ideas and I noped tf out. No state governments is probably the worst idea tbh. There are lots of issues that only apply to certain states, and it would be much harder for ppl in these states to have a voice about these issues.
...and everyone else that argued for state's rights....

I should clarify my position on this. I'm both pro macro-government and pro micro-government, just not the in-between. Basically, I say get rid of states' right, allow the Feds to set the baseline upon which everything is built (and it would have to be a broad baseline) and then let counties determine local law. This also feeds off of my point about letting people speak for themselves. It wouldn't be difficult or expensive to set up a secure voting system (for both federal and local levels) that let people vote directly on what they want to become law. President wants to change healthcare? Everybody votes. Not Congress, not some state rep who has no idea how I feel about the issue, but me, with my own voice. State laws are nothing but an impediment, and I say that from experience as a state contractor.

In principle I can't agree with the required service. I just don't think we should be forced to be in the military. It's not something I think is necessary because many many people are join the military and will continue to join it.
No no, I'm not saying force military service, just required community service. Civic duty and all.

What also be fine is teaching self defense. Also students should be taught how to control their emotions, meditate, communicate(verbally and textually)well, and howto debate and argue in a civil and professional manner. Also trades should be taught. How to do finances, save, use banks, file taxes, invest and such
So many yeses.

I'd like nuclear armaments to be disarmed, but if America does this this will only put us in danger with other countries. I completely understand it and would want every country to do it.
I feel its also a matter of "Lead By Example". If we disarm, a number of other countries will follow suit. Also, we focus a portion of the military spending on missile defense system and boom, done.

I don't know if it should be 80percent less for the military, what I'd like is for research and investigations to happen to find out how much is needed for the military for it to remain highly effective/efficient, and account for higher cost as more people join(also accounting for higher standards) I can't say how much it would be
Focus on defense. Stop producing trillion-dollar warships that no one needs, and billion dollar jet programs that don't work. And stop allowing private contractors to take the government for all its worth.

With socialized healthcare and such, I'm fine with if it if we can pay it without going bankrupt, burrowing from different countries, and over taxing citizens. Also I think if you are an idiot and always get drunk, does drugs, and is reckless and always get hurt they should lose their coverage for a time. To pay for those people's dumbass decisions is messed up to me. They should probably lose it for a time, or investigation should go into how they got hurt to need what they need. If they lose it for a time they should be able to get it back.
The thing is, if we socialize healthcare and actually make treatment programs affordable/free, you'll see a massive reduction in this sort of repetitive abuse.

So I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying where I disagree principally.
No worries, as I said, I like a good, healthy conversation. :D

Military: I feel that our military could be shrunk and focus shifted to speacial forces teams and small actions. This would also mean we should not need the Draft as we wouldent be throwing warm bodies into a mulcher, this isnt WW1,2, or vietnam days. Technology fills a lot of Gaps today and could fill more. @Eddie Mentioned only allowing citizens to Join the Military. I do not totally agree with that and here is why. Currently we have Several territories " Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa" , In some cases these folks are not considered citizens and you would be limiting there ability to serve the United states. We also have a program currently that allows Foreign nationals such as the men and women that have helped us in the middle east to join the military and work there way towards citizenship. I personally feel that with the strict rigors of military life and the Militaries ability and experience with vetting people that this is a potential veyr good system to aid in legal immigration.
This.

Privacy: I am all for privacy. I am very very all for privacy. I do think that agencies like the NSA have their place, and that place is Protecting us and spying on foreign governments with the only intention of protecting ours. This bullshit of storing exploits and spying on our own people should be eliminated. If your going to have agencies like the CIA and NSA they need to be watched and regulated hard. Some sort of Citizen based bodey to Watch the Watchers so to speak.
This is one key thing we agree on. I'm a firm believer in the idea that, if you have nothing to worry about, what's the harm in letting them look?

And forcing multiple languages to be taught is also a bad idea on multiple levels. How about we make sure our people are proficient at English first which many are not instead of making them learn Arabic (in 3rd grade lmao a lot of kids can barely form coherent sentences in English at the age) which they most likely will never need to use.
I mean, this is factually wrong. Bear in mind, this is what my degree is, and I can speak from both education and experience that the earlier you teach a language, the better.

Fallout God

The concern I have hear are the numerous studies that show the long-term effects of alcohol on an underage brain--they're not good.

I should clarify my position on this. I'm both pro macro-government and pro micro-government, just not the in-between. Basically, I say get rid of states' right, allow the Feds to set the baseline upon which everything is built (and it would have to be a broad baseline) and then let counties determine local law. This also feeds off of my point about letting people speak for themselves. It wouldn't be difficult or expensive to set up a secure voting system (for both federal and local levels) that let people vote directly on what they want to become law. President wants to change healthcare? Everybody votes. Not Congress, not some state rep who has no idea how I feel about the issue, but me, with my own voice. State laws are nothing but an impediment, and I say that from experience as a state contractor.

No no, I'm not saying force military service, just required community service. Civic duty and all.

So many yeses.

I feel its also a matter of "Lead By Example". If we disarm, a number of other countries will follow suit. Also, we focus a portion of the military spending on missile defense system and boom, done.

Focus on defense. Stop producing trillion-dollar warships that no one needs, and billion dollar jet programs that don't work. And stop allowing private contractors to take the government for all its worth.

The thing is, if we socialize healthcare and actually make treatment programs affordable/free, you'll see a massive reduction in this sort of repetitive abuse.

No worries, as I said, I like a good, healthy conversation. :D

This.

This is one key thing we agree on. I'm a firm believer in the idea that, if you have nothing to worry about, what's the harm in letting them look?

I mean, this is factually wrong. Bear in mind, this is what my degree is, and I can speak from both education and experience that the earlier you teach a language, the better.
Of course many other countries will, but what about countries that wouldn't and use their nuclear arsenal to extort and intimidate countries without one?

Fallout God

Yes, but we aren't likely to create perfect missile defence systems; and what about the many countries that wouldn't have those? Should the US fund them in regards to that area?

Of course time isn't a factor as you would only disarm after building and fully deploying the system.

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member

This is one Place I do not think we will ever agree my friend.

I Do think that the voting process can and should be streamlined and in a way that makes it so Easy that Everyone can and does vote. But I Just am not a fan of the expansion of a Federal government that can and will dip its fingers into every part of our lives. I think the freedom to move and go someplace more agreeable is important. And as long as the nation is fairly evenly split when it comes to Liberal / Conservative there will be trouble.

It is important in my mind that power never fall completely into one parties hands and the system you describe would do just that. Right now the Liberal minded people feel under attack, and for the previous 8 years the Conservatives did. An all encumpasing Federal government would put people at each others throats at a level far worse than we have now. I really belive it would lead to something dangerous.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
Our missile defence systems are extremely unreliable. They're better than nothing, but they still need a ton of development to abandon our nuclear weapons. If we want them to defend against a massive nuclear strike, expect to pay trillions. In addition, nuclear weapons have been a tremendous improvement on the world. That's why WWIII didn't start during the cold war. They've saved far more lives than they've killed.

Last edited:

Dingo

Magic Sky Dog
This is one Place I do not think we will ever agree my friend.

I Do think that the voting process can and should be streamlined and in a way that makes it so Easy that Everyone can and does vote. But I Just am not a fan of the expansion of a Federal government that can and will dip its fingers into every part of our lives. I think the freedom to move and go someplace more agreeable is important. And as long as the nation is fairly evenly split when it comes to Liberal / Conservative there will be trouble.

It is important in my mind that power never fall completely into one parties hands and the system you describe would do just that. Right now the Liberal minded people feel under attack, and for the previous 8 years the Conservatives did. An all encumpasing Federal government would put people at each others throats at a level far worse than we have now. I really belive it would lead to something dangerous.
That's actually a really fair point. I never thought about it that way. Though I think the voting system I mentioned would mitigate a lot of that, it would definitely still be an issue. I can mostly concede this point to you, Ahab.

Ahab

Known Poster
Premium Member
That's actually a really fair point. I never thought about it that way. Though I think the voting system I mentioned would mitigate a lot of that, it would definitely still be an issue. I can mostly concede this point to you, Ahab.
Well sheeeeit, Dont know what to say lol. I do hope that someday people will get along well enough that we can sucessfully work together. I think the voting system you describe woul dmitigate Some of it, but at this point not enough. We need to take progress slow. But maybe someday we really will All jsut get along.

Chatroom