What's your Game of the Year for 2018?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Wolfensanity

Staff member
Another year full of great games (and some not-so-great games), which one is your favorite?

Mine is Red Dead Redemption 2, for it's world, characters, story, and most of the gameplay. I wish some of the missions had a bit more variety and were less predictable, although the predictability might just come with being a prequel, since we knew going in that the gang falls apart, Dutch goes crazy, etc. Despite those issues, I think it's Rockstar's best game.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
Another year full of great games (and some not-so-great games), which one is your favorite?

Mine is Red Dead Redemption 2, for it's world, characters, story, and most of the gameplay. I wish some of the missions had a bit more variety and were less predictable, although the predictability might just come with being a prequel, since we knew going in that the gang falls apart, Dutch goes crazy, etc. Despite those issues, I think it's Rockstar's best game.
Mine is easily Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Its world is beautiful, immersive, and extremely fun to explore. The combat has a steep learning curve, but it's increasingly satisfying as you get better. Also, the overall gameplay loop is quite addictive. And then there's the story, which is very well written. I do have some gripes with the game. Even though it has been greatly improved since launch, it's still pretty buggy. There is quite a bit of choice, but you still play a very pre-defined protagonist, and the ending of the story isn't affected by any choices you make on the way. It's therefore very much imperfect when it comes to choice and consequence.

Anyway, buy KCD.

i never played anything of huge magnitude this entire year, but I guess if Fortnite can win GoTY despite being released in 2017, then I guess my GoTY choice is 2017's Nier Automata

Radvantage

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with Wolf and say Red Dead Redemption 2, by a long shot. It has one of those narratives that captures just about every feeling across the emotional spectrum, but tastefully. There's a sincere context for the gang's sins. Without spoiling the protagonist's story arc, I believe Arthur personifies the concept of redemption even more than John, which is an incredible triumph in storytelling considering how groundbreaking the first game was. In my mind, it's the best western simulator, but at its core it's a world that pushes a modern game's ability to feel real and reactive (without stepping too far outside of Rockstar's open-world game design). The entire cast of characters feel appropriate, not one unique NPC feels copy-pasted from another. At the same time, it doesn't depend too much on the expected cliches, because the writers paid attention to humanizing the madness of the American frontier. Just masterful.

That said, I really need to play Pillars of Eternity II at some point, it really feels like that would be my RPG of the year with all of the improvements over the first (in terms of both story and mechanics). Kingdom Come: Deliverance seems cool, but I haven't progressed very far because I basically got it for free before I upgraded to my PS4 Pro, and then eventually decided to wait to play it. I'll definitely have to set aside some time to play it next year.

Chatroom