Why are Battlefield V's pre-orders so low?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, obviously, this is a complex question with a multifaceted answer. At this point, all we can do is speculate about possible answers as even EA doesn't have the information to reliably explain the behavior of consumers. However, by observing the attitude of the community and what EA has done differently this time around, we can draw upon various possible, likely contributory reasons for this situation. Firstly, there's the most obvious one: backlash from the disaster that was Battlefront 2. The seeming lack of authenticity as shown in the trailers which makes Battlefield 1 seem like a documentary is also notable. Perhaps most importantly, there's the callous disregard and condescension with which EA have treated the concerns of the community...

Jk, obviously it's all just because muh RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2, and anyone who says otherwise is a MAGA-hat-toting conservative woman-hater. Am I right?

Seriously though, thoughts?

Last edited:

guul66

Funk Police, Anti-Edgy department
It's because people are confused. There was Battlefield 1 and now they are going straight to FIVE!?
People think there are a few games in between they missed and are waiting for them to come out.

I think the main issue for their pre-orders is genuinely Red Dead 2 and the fact it's around the same time COD is coming out too. I don't see the fact it's not selling well is because of the customisation or lack of authenticity as it didn't effect Battlefield 1. I don't see the game flopping, however. Just not doing well enough and DICE getting more freedom next time as EA step back, like they often do "Titanfall 2"

guul66

I think the main issue for their pre-orders is genuinely Red Dead 2 and the fact it's around the same time COD is coming out too. I don't see the fact it's not selling well is because of the customisation or lack of authenticity as it didn't effect Battlefield 1. I don't see the game flopping, however. Just not doing well enough and DICE getting more freedom next time as EA step back, like they often do "Titanfall 2"
Why did you say titanfall 2 at the end there lol?

guul66

Because EA stepped back for Titanfall 2, and the game came out as one of the best shooters of that year, just poorly released. I think EA would allow DICE the same situation after V doing so badly.
They did? Titanfall 2 just seems like a sequel to Titanfall 1, idk where EA could've stepped back on that.

Obama

Known Poster
I think it isn't because of the customisation but all the bad press EA has got in the past year which is a shame because dice have made a really good looking game and built on people's complaints from bf1 such as spotting and gunplay.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
To me, that just doesn't make sense. I'm sure RDR2 has some effect on pre-orders, but there're obviously other factors as BFV is being disproportionately affected. Battlefield has released in the crowded fall for years, but it's been able to hold its own. According to what I've heard, Battlefield 3's pre-orders were roughly 40% less than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and the gaps between the sales have been closing since then. However, Battlefield V pre-orders are reportedly about 85% less than Black Ops 4. In addition, Black Ops 4 pre-orders are reportedly higher than RDR2. The Titanfall 2 situation isn't really comparable if you ask me as the series had virtually no dedicated fanbase previously.

As I indicated before, I think they somehow managed to make lack of authenticity look much worse in BFV compared to BF1. BF1 was acceptable in its authenticity if you ask me. It still felt like BF4 with a WW1 skin, but every time I see BFV gameplay, it genuinely looks like MW2 to me. I don't think the customization is a huge reason, but it definitely helps deplete the feeling of authenticity. To me though, it seems clear that calling fans uneducated and telling them not to buy the game had the biggest effect. I don't understand how anyone could come to the conclusion that it had no effect whatsoever and it's all down to RDR2.

Last edited:

Obama

Known Poster
One thing I don't understand is why everyone assumes it's a political agenda by dice, they just want to make money off of customisation. The only reason women is in the game is because women are more likely to spend money on microtransactions than is they are playing as a man. EA don't care about the left wing or the right wing they just want to make money. They are banking on the facts buyers will buy microtransactions and make them more money than the sales they lose out on. Evidence for this can be seen as the game being a live service experience kinda like Fortnite with free content and skins.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
One thing I don't understand is why everyone assumes it's a political agenda by dice, they just want to make money off of customisation. The only reason women is in the game is because women are more likely to spend money on microtransactions than is they are playing as a man. EA don't care about the left wing or the right wing they just want to make money. They are banking on the facts buyers will buy microtransactions and make them more money than the sales they lose out on. Evidence for this can be seen as the game being a live service experience kinda like Fortnite with free content and skins.
I would somewhat agree, but their reaction to the backlash indicates otherwise.

Meetch

Known Poster
Rad Member
Because reactionaries are polluting the market to such a degree with their nonsense, that even "normies" know about the backlash. Once again, this shit has gone mainstream and the non politically inclined/read are mad for... reasons.

But also Red Dead probably isn't helping lol. Also burnout from Battlefront 2 probably doesn't help. Sure its a different series, but its the same developer and the same shit

Obama

Known Poster
I would somewhat agree, but their reaction to the backlash indicates otherwise.
Because they aren't going to say we don't really care about politics we are just doing it for the money and I imagine some dice developers are left wing but the main reason is microtransactions

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
Because they aren't going to say we don't really care about politics we are just doing it for the money and I imagine some dice developers are left wing but the main reason is microtransactions
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to come out and admit it, but if money from microtransactions was their sole reason, calling potential customers uneducated and telling them not to buy the game seems counterintuitive. You'd think they'd just ignore it if that was the case, but attacking potential customers is the last thing they'd do.

Obama

Known Poster
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to come out and admit it, but if money from microtransactions was their sole reason, calling potential customers uneducated and telling them not to buy the game seems counterintuitive. You'd think they'd just ignore it if that was the case, but attacking potential customers is the last thing they'd do.
They don't care about potential customers though they care about people who will buy microtransactions and so they target women with customisation and everyone else, game sales mean less than microtransaction sales.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
They don't care about potential customers though they care about people who will buy microtransactions and so they target women with customisation and everyone else, game sales mean less than microtransaction sales.
If vastly fewer people are buying your game, that's fewer people buying microtransactions.

CJTreader

Staff member
Premium Member
People sink amounts you can't imagine into microtransactions. They are an important part of revenue for companies.
I'm aware of that. I'm saying that many of those skipping out on the game would otherwise be buying microtransactions. You assume all the whales are still going to play it. In addition, such a drop in player base will make the whales who bought it play it much less as full matches will be harder to come by.

guul66

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that many of those skipping out on the game would otherwise be buying microtransactions. You assume all the whales are still going to play it. In addition, such a drop in player base will make the whales who bought it play it much less as full matches will be harder to come by.
No, you have a good point, I'm just trying to show what they might've thought when they did whatever they did.

Chatroom